First time posting!

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Have been reading the posts for a while but first time posting.Hubby who's 68 has had Alzhimers for four years.I am still able to leave him and go out but family say he must not be left by himself? What do you think?Daughter wanted me to employ friend for two days but have said no.Live in a village were were there is a group of people who help villagers in need of help.This I think is a good start and as we need more help get help from a agency?any thoughts from anyone?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Have been reading the posts for a while but first time posting.Hubby who's 68 has had Alzhimers for four years.I am still able to leave him and go out but family say he must not be left by himself? What do you think?Daughter wanted me to employ friend for two days but have said no.Live in a village were were there is a group of people who help villagers in need of help.This I think is a good start and as we need more help get help from a agency?any thoughts from anyone?
It really depends on your husband's condition. And on how safe he is left by himself. And then how confident and competent the group of people are who volunteer to help.

Welcome to TP - and do keep posting and reading! I don't know how I would have coped without this community and their support. :)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome to the forum.

A sitter to sit with your husband if this is what he needs would be good as long as he is capable of doing everything for himself. If there are any things that he struggles with then a carer from an agency would be better.

You are right to refuse a friend.Thrre will be times when you need to give orders, criticise or even complain and all three of these would spoil or kill a friendship.

Hope you can get something sorted that will suit everyone.

Jay

Yanni

Jul 2, 2013
Emsworth, Hants
I think you have to decide how safe he is left on his own. My husband is 72, very fit other than the AD, but leaves the front door open, asks strangers in and leaves the iron on etc. etc..... But I still go out occasionally for short periods without him (helps to keep me sane, apart from anything else) But he also goes out on his own, there is no way I could stop him and he has only got lost in our small town on a couple of occasions. Luckily we have lived here for a long time and most shopkeepers can point him in the right direction and he is fairly uninhibited about asking (that's the AD too, he would never have done that before). I don't think you should ask friends on a regular basis, if they offer occasionally, that's different. Perhaps your daughter can do some sitting/caring for you. Sorry this seems to be a rather rambling reply but I do feel for you, it's not easy is it?

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
If you are comfortable at the moment...go. If your daughter isn't ask her to provide a solution. Can he stay with her while you are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm not sure I can advise you on this situation - the others have said everything I would have said! But I just wanted to welcome you to Talking Point and hope that its lovely members will help you as much as they've helped me.

Nice to 'meet' you - and keep posting!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Sunlover, (what a lovely name!) A huge welcome to you. I'm in the same boat where I have to leave husband alone when I go shopping. So far, so good with five years living with his active illness.

Haven't a clue how to advise help, just wanted to show some support.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hello Sunlover, and welcome from me too. As others already said, if you are able get daughter to provide cover. If not, then only you really know if there is any risk. Anything over 30 mins and OH comes with me.
keep smiling,
malomm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
You know best if you can leave anyone for some time. In my experience, the time gets shorter and shorter until it is unwise to leave them at all. OH is now at this stage, but earlier in the disease process could easily leave him for 2-3 hours.

There are two villages close to us where Carers have been trained and CRB checked and they will come and sit with, or take out, any caree that is in the early stages. They can cope with most things! If you have this scheme locally, use them. If your village Carers are not specially trained, then I would be more cautious.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi, :) and welcome to Talking Point. You know your husband best, and you'll know when you can't leave him alone. I could leave my husband for short periods until a few years ago. It was so sudden, and it was like on Monday I could leave him, by Tuesday I knew I couldn't any more.

As others have said, if family members think otherwise, then ask them if they could find a solution for your dilemma. ;)

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi and welcome from me too. I can still leave my husband home alone for a few hours and he can go out for long walks with the dog by himself. I am aware this is likely to change but I think you can only respond to the situation as it is, not as it will or might become.