First time poster

Tony1954

Jul 21, 2013
Dear all

For several years now I have been a lurker on this forum and have been inspired by many of the stories I have read. I would imagine there are others like myself with little confidence to take part actively but who value this forum and use it to help them cope with in my view the cruelest disease one can ever imagine.

My reason for posting now after such a long time is quite simple. My partner developed early onset Alzheimers several years ago, how many? I can no longer remember. Last Thursday at the age of 61 she passed away. I was her sole carer for most of the period of her illness virtually 24/7 until I could no longer cope and managed to find a superb nursing home close by where she spent the last ten weeks of her life.

Without going into too much detail her progression was particularly fast and robbed a vibrant, beautiful young woman of her future, not to say robbing myself, son, grandchildren and family of one of the nicest people placed on this earth.

Her journey is over, my journey is over, the pain remains and the memories will linger for all time. I have no regrets that I did as much as I could and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish all those on the same path, the strength to carry on providing care, compassion and love as far as they are able. We can only do so much but what we do is precious.

My very best wishes to you all, heroes every one

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
How sorry I am for your loss, whole families are robbed by the thief of dementia.
I can hear the love in your words and I know your wife was blessed to have that love in the most significant way. "In sickness and in health," personified.
I wish you and your family much peace and comfort.
Stephanie, xxx

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How terribly sad. Sending my sincere condolences and wishing you and your family strength for the days and weeks to come. Your love shines through your post.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you Tony for such a lovely post, sad though it is to hear that your partner passed away last week. As you 'lurked' here you found some comfort in knowing that others were going through similar experiences.

It is a wretched disease and your partner was indeed very lucky to have you by her side throughout. I understand the pain as my husband died just over 12 months ago.

I can only offer sincere sympathies at this difficult time.
Best wishes

Last edited:

Robstick

May 4, 2013
Condolences for your loss.

Am sure many feel your pain, caused by this horrendous disease. This may be your first post but please don't let it be your last.

Kind Regards...

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
Sincere condolences to you and your family Tony. I'm sorry the pain remains, but you can console yourself with the fact that you did as much as you possibly could for your partner.

It is indeed a cruel illness and in my view early onset is the most cruel of all. I don't have any experience of it though because I care for my dad who is 87, and that is bad enough to deal with. You have my admiration.

Very best wishes to you for your future

ceroc46

Jan 28, 2012
Hello Tony,

Sorry to hear of your recent loss.

Love and prayers to you and your family.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Hello Tony,
Deepest condolences to you on your loss. Sad and raw though it certainly is, I'm so glad you felt you'd have done nothing different.

I hope you keep lurking and posting if you feel like it as I'm sure you have lots to give xxx

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
So sorry for your loss am so happy you found this site helped at the time! if I meet a man half as compassionate as you ill be more than happy!! She was too young this wasn't fair but she was truly loved!! I wish you nothing but happier times ahead :)

Tony1954

Jul 21, 2013
Hello everyone. Sorry I havent replied before now. I would like to thank you all for taking the time to read my post and your comments have touched me deeply. Thank you all so very very much.

Margaret938

Dear Tony,
Please accept my sincere sympathy for your loss.
Your tireless love and care is an inspiration to us all, you will see from the posts that whether our loved one is at home or in a Care Home the love shines through.
You are truly any angel, please keep posting, you can share so much with others.
All my love to you and your family,
Margaret

SBP2013

Jul 30, 2013
What a beautiful post. I have lost 3 relatives to this evil disease. Your partner will be so so proud of you for your beautiful, inspiring words. My very best wishes to you for your future. Take strength from your family. LeeAnn. xx