First time in respite care

GrannyRose

Feb 21, 2017
Faversham
Hello Everyone,

This morning I took my husband into respite care for 2 weeks. He is at stage 6 of mixed type dementia having been diagnosed 6 years ago. I am feeling an absolute heel. He looked so confused and subdued when I left him. Guess I just need some reassurance that I've done the right thing. I have been feeling at breaking point for some months after he has had 4 bad falls & constant getting up in the night to ostensibly pee. So I'm up & down like a yo yo & haven't had a proper nights sleep in months.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hello Everyone,

This morning I took my husband into respite care for 2 weeks. He is at stage 6 of mixed type dementia having been diagnosed 6 years ago. I am feeling an absolute heel. He looked so confused and subdued when I left him. Guess I just need some reassurance that I've done the right thing. I have been feeling at breaking point for some months after he has had 4 bad falls & constant getting up in the night to ostensibly pee. So I'm up & down like a yo yo & haven't had a proper nights sleep in months.
My husband will go for his third annual respite next week. I worried about all sorts of things but knew I must get a break. In fact he has no recall of being there but while there, was quite content and joined in any activities. I feel that the benefit to me of two weeks once a year outweighs any misgivings. I know he is well cared for so I feel I must go for it. In fact I will try once again to find a vacancy with them in winter for a week.

Good wishes.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hello Everyone,

This is still one of the hardest things to do. It reminds me of that very first day at school, as an infant. Rather afraid and watching my mother walking away with a wave and feeling suddenly so very alone, amidst strangers - boys and girls - probably also feeling very much the same. But we cannot assume anything in an adult, especially when we are talking about dementia and so we have to wait and see. But respite usually comes about quite simply because you have no choice and that is a fact. You can go on and then enter a different world of angst, events and eventual deeply unpleasant 'emergency respite'. That was my own experience. So when we take our loved one into respite, albeit a short stay and as long as we have the assurance of proper care and continuity of care which has been our own role up until now, then we can at least find a degree of solace in both having some time to 'heal' after the pressures of care and also prepare for any outcome. Will he or she 'settle' into the respite? That will be the constant question and that is totally understandable.

I see both men and women coming into 'respite' with varied levels of dementia, subject to the causation (Alzheimer's, vascular etc.,) and one often wishes that one could tell the family members and carers that 'all is well'. Yes, there are moments which are unsettled and the new and strange environment is just that and requires getting used to. But when you have 24 hour care and that care is in place as it should be then the respite can certainly be a positive thing.

But it is quite clear and warrants respect, that the feeling initially of being an 'absolute heel' is not to be seen as anything but an expression of frustration and a degree of hurt which comes about because you literally need to make that move, combined with the utter frustration of having to do so, despite seeing the love one concerned looking 'lost' and removed from your direct care and touch, on admission. Just as long as one keeps a true perspective on this and understands the reasoning behind it, i.e. best interests, then the two weeks should not prove to be too stressful. You do not want to reach 'breaking point; owing to overwhelming events, so this move is really wise and in a way 'exploratory'. So now you wait and see how things turn out. You cannot do anything more.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
GrannyRose, please don't be hard on yourself.

No one can carry on regardless doing all they do when caring on no sleep. You have no need to feel guilty.
You are one half of a couple and you need to do this to recharge your batteries. If you were looking in on another couple in your situation I am sure you would advise that it is essential for the carer to have a break.
Love for another person makes us stick around when others run the other way, enables us to do things way past the endurance of others. You are already putting your love and care into action every day but we all need time off sometime.
I hope it goes well, he may even settle far better than you are anticipating. I hope the facility let you have your break without lots of calls to you. Enjoy the time you have.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Granny Rose, let it go! What matters now is what he needs, not what he may want. He needs you to be able to cope, and you can't humanly rise to that task without sleeping properly every night. He is safe and cared for, now enjoy your time and maybe start thinking about how to move forwards with his care needs. You may not be able to meet them alone at home for much longer? Take care.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Your doing the right thing .My wife middle stage at 65 I'm lost .it's so hard sleep deprivation is the worst I'm so tired. She's up and down all night . I wonder were are life is going just hope I'm has strong has you take care Tony

GrannyRose

Feb 21, 2017
Faversham
Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to talk to me. Feeling a bit lost & weepy today, can't get up the energy to do anything around the house that needs doing. I guess it will take a few days to 'wind down'. I did get more sleep last night but woke at 4 & lay worrying about him. I've been advised not to visit for a few days but my wonderfully supportive daughter (his step daughter) will pop in. Tomorrow I'm going away for 2 days with a friend. Hopefully it will help me feel I'm getting back into the real world, albeit temporarily. Thanks again.

GrannyRose

Feb 21, 2017
Faversham
This afternoon daughter & I "sprang" OH from care home. Turned out it was an 'all fur coat & no knickers' one. Lovely building, gardens etc. but the 'care' was insufficient. He had 2 falls in the first 3 days, one resulting in a paramedics call out. Things they had said would be put in place weren't, e.g. falls mat, fluids chart. There was no continuity of communication between staff. Clothing is missing, as are meds.

Daughter is an ex QCC inspector so knows the ropes. What the hell is a layman expected to do if the home is rated 'GOOD' by the QCC?

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
GrannyRose,
So sorry to hear that the break you were looking forward to and had prepared so well for has gone wrong.
I know it must have taken a lot of courage to let go and place your husband in the care of strangers and then for them to fail so abysmally.
Have they offered an explanation and apology as to why these things weren't in place as they had promised.
Please do not be disheartened. You probably feel that you never want to trust anyone again but this does not detract from the fact that you need,and will in the future need, a break. See what other places are like in the area, speak to other families and your local Carers group to find out what other facilities are like.
To care continually with no breaks is beyond the endurance of many- keep looking?