First Post regarding my Lovely Mum

Allydee

Sep 7, 2020
Hi All, I just wanted to say I am so glad I have found this forum. It’s a daunting thought that I am on the beginning of a journey with my mum. One which nobody wants to take. Right now I feel numb and don’t really know how I feel. I guess taking each stage as they come is the only way to tackle mum’s condition. (Just diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). Mum is such a proud lady and I know, already she is hating the way she is behaving. Some times she is aware of the fact she is struggling cognitively. We lost Dad four years ago and her mental health has slowly declined since then. I am just relieved that I can be there for her and have just moved her to a bungalow 5 minutes away from where I live. This is even a bigger relief. So as one of the other posts mentioned, not overloading oneself with too much information initially and enjoy the person they are right now, is a good approach. So with that said I’m off to make my mum laugh.... ?.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Congrats on moving your mum nearby to a suitable property! I'm sure this will make it easier for both of you going forward.

Sorry you've found yourself here on TP but have a good read around the site - there is much to be learned and I doubt you will face a problem that others haven't also experienced, so ask away if you have any concerns.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Allydee . Well done moving your mum close by. I moved my parents nearer me a few years ago and was able to look after mum, who was already showing signs of dementia, when Dad died. We managed to bobble along for a couple of years. It's not easy stuff but there is plenty of experience here, so keep posting for help and advice along the way. You clearly have a positive attitude, which will be a great help. Laughter is always good!

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Allydee, welcome to the forum. It does help having Mum close by, my Mum was 5 minutes from me and it made a real difference. It is probably really difficult for your Mum to accept help, and I'm sure that is a challenge you are already dealing with, at least being close to hand you can nip round.

Your approach is a eminently sensible one. I would say the one bit of advice I would give to myself if I could go back to that stage was to do exactly what you are doing - enjoying Mum now and not worrying too much about the future.

All the best, keep posting.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Allydee.

I'm sorry to read about your mum but I'm glad you've found the forum. I know you'll always find help and support here.

Wishing20

Feb 27, 2020
Hi All, I just wanted to say I am so glad I have found this forum. It’s a daunting thought that I am on the beginning of a journey with my mum. One which nobody wants to take. Right now I feel numb and don’t really know how I feel. I guess taking each stage as they come is the only way to tackle mum’s condition. (Just diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). Mum is such a proud lady and I know, already she is hating the way she is behaving. Some times she is aware of the fact she is struggling cognitively. We lost Dad four years ago and her mental health has slowly declined since then. I am just relieved that I can be there for her and have just moved her to a bungalow 5 minutes away from where I live. This is even a bigger relief. So as one of the other posts mentioned, not overloading oneself with too much information initially and enjoy the person they are right now, is a good approach. So with that said I’m off to make my mum laugh.... ?.

This is a great place to find advice, so many people with so much experience and everyone is very kind and helpful :). My Mum was diagnosed 5 years ago, I was heartbroken at the time, but you find the strength to deal with it. Spend as much time as you can with your Mum whilst things are not too bad, take her out, maybe a weekend away, squash it all in. My Mum’s in a Care Home now, didn’t think that would happen at this stage, and now because of Covid, 6 very long months have gone by with no indoor visiting, its horrendous. Take care of yourself during this and get whatever help you can x

Melliemellie

Aug 21, 2020
This is a great place to find advice, so many people with so much experience and everyone is very kind and helpful :). My Mum was diagnosed 5 years ago, I was heartbroken at the time, but you find the strength to deal with it. Spend as much time as you can with your Mum whilst things are not too bad, take her out, maybe a weekend away, squash it all in. My Mum’s in a Care Home now, didn’t think that would happen at this stage, and now because of Covid, 6 very long months have gone by with no indoor visiting, its horrendous. Take care of yourself during this and get whatever help you can x
Hi Allydee,
My Mum was diagnosed in April this year and I posted here for the first time a few weeks ago. It really cheered me up I have to say and it does help that others really know what you’re going through. Great attitude. Keep posting x