First mum, now dad has Alzheimer's!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi
Thanks to everyone who urged me to chat with the GP.
Found out that dad now has alz, next stage is the consultant. Doc thinks there may be some pill to slow the dementia down but at 81 I doubt they'll give him it.
I can't believe I'm about to embark down this road again 3 years after mum's death only this time I have a 22 month old baby and a part time job working from home.
I will be honest and admit I am shaking at the idea of it.

magic.

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Oh Magic, not again?

It was so good to see you here again after a fair while, but not for this.

I hope that TP can help in some way.

For those who are newer here and don't know Magic, that name was not coined by chance, it is spot on.

Please post as often as you need and also bring all of us up to speed with how things have been going and how they develop.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh dear Magic, I'm so sorry. I must confess I was hoping it was nothing so serious.

If your dad's well advanced, it may be Ebixa they're thinking of rather than one of the anticholinesterase pill, don't know though. But your dad's age shouldn't stop them prescribing.

I hope you get an appointment with the consultant quickly, and can start getting some support in place.

Now you have a diagnosis, ring SS straight away and ask for an assessment for your dad and a carers' assessment for yourself. You are entitled to this, and it should open the door to all sorts of support.

Also ring your local branch of AS, and Princess Royal Trust for Carers and ask for their support.

I realise you've been through all this already, but support systems have improved greatly, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, don't panic!

Help is there, you just have to ask -- and keep on asking!:D

And TP is still here for you.

Love,

PS In case you haven't found it there is a factsheet on AD medication:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/407

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Mjaqmac said:
I will be honest and admit I am shaking at the idea of it.

Hello,

It's always sad to hear of a diagnosis of any dementia but doubly sad to hear someone has to walk that path for the second time no wonder your shaking. It's going to be so much harder with a young baby and working I wish you all the strength needed. Caring Thoughts, Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Magic

I saw my mother through dementia from 1993 -2002 and now I am living through it again with my husband, so I have some idea how you must be feeling.

But in caring for my husband, I have no other responsibilities such as work or young children, as you have, and my heart goes out to you.

I can only suggest you lower the expectations of the care you intend to provide for your father and let others provide the help you are certainly going to need.

You are obviously very well thought of by older members of TP who know you from the first time around. I hope TP will be able to offer the same level of support it did then.

With love xx

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
hello Magic,

So sorry to hear about your father The road is no easier when travelling it for the second time I do hope you get the support you need.

regards
Judith

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks

thank you everyone for your support.
I'm very much of the mind that this time around I will take each day as it comes, last time I worried myself into panic attacks which resulted in agoraphobia, I'm still not completely free of that you just have to keep fighting don't you?
In carry on fashion i'll 'carry on regardless'

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hello again Magic - i seems a world away from when I last spoke to you here but it is so sad to hear it is for the worst of reasons. I've no idea what made me call in today as I hadn't visited for more than 6 months and then it was a fleeting drop in during a meloncholy moment around the anniversary of Dads and Aunties passings.

What can I say? Normans thoughts always seem the right ones for so many occasions - take one day at a time. Those words helped me so many times particularly when Dads sister started down the AD road so soon after we had lost Dad the same way. Stay strong, you have good friends here who will help you along as much as they can.

Kriss
x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet