First Dementia Clinic

Bassetlaw Badge

Oct 30, 2012
Hi all,
Well, I'm taking dad to his first dementia clinic tomorrow morning and don't really know what to expect. I'm hopeful that this time tomorrow I'll be posting about a positive experience.................x:confused:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It does seem to vary from one area to another but ours was quite a long and detailed set of questions some of which we answered together some we were separated for.
They had a kitchen and she had to make a cup of coffee while one of them marked the papers, these were then taken to the consultant who ready over them while they did a couple more skills tests. The consultant then saw us asked al the usual questions you'd expect and referred her for a CAT scan and wrote to our GP asking them to prescribe Aricept, however, other people I know just a few miles away but in Trafford health authority just got 5 minutes with a consultant and diagnosed on the spot pretty much given a prescription and told to come back in 6 months.
K

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi BB, fingers crossed for you..not dad:eek: does give us such a worry! yes most memory clinics seem to have the same "tick box" profile, and most can be very kind, have attached a link which may help;) on the memory test they will do...can only request that you "insist" on regular consultations with the memory clinic, contact numbers for help during working hours, and also out of hours service, if dad is reluctant to attend further appointments they should be able to do a home visit..so much better and they will see how dad is in his home environment, above all they should do an assessment on his home living for any safety issues and of course any help/changes/equipment needed to help dad live independently, any benefits he is eligible for and of course support for you:)
Will be thinking of you tomorrow and good luck..herewith link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=121
Take care
Chris x

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
My mum's have all followed the same pattern, except for the last one where she was weighed and had her blood pressure taken before hand.

She has never had a "skills" test, or done the thing with objects on a tray, but has had the same test every time, asked questions about the day and date, the season, what building she thought she was in, the floor she was on and the town she thought she was in. She was given three words to remember (no chance!) and asked to spell a word backwards. She was asked to copy a simple image (funnily enough she's always aced that one) and to write a sentence (becoming more difficult). I think that's everything. I don't prompt her in any way, at first she was looking to me to answer for her but I won't and I think she's accepted that. She still doesn't understand why she goes to the memory clinic and the doctor has told her why, but she thinks her memory is perfectly OK...

Having said that I do have my say and tell the doctor or nurse clinician how she's been - last time I had to tell them she doesn't know how to use her cooker or her microwave any more and I think she's struggling to use her kettle as I have to make her a hot drink when I go round as well as put the heating on. I don't notice any teabags lying around when I go there any more, usually there are used ones in the sink.

Also, while you are there, ask for the details of the Admiral Nurse for your area, he or she can support you. When i was at the very end of my tether this time last year, the AN was a godsend, calmed me down and gave me a lot of pointers to help me.

Last edited:

Bassetlaw Badge

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks all, it's good to know. It sounds like we're pretty much in the same place skaface, and I've had a good look at the leaflet Chris (my little boy is a Chris so I'm hardly going to forget your name!) and I think that is what the GP did to prompt DC in the first instance. He got a 12. Maybe this will start us on the SS path and I might not be so alone in all this any more. Here's to hope, eh?

Bassetlaw Badge

Oct 30, 2012
Sooo, it turns out it wasn't for Dementia Clinic, but to take bloods and ecg for DC. So we've got more waiting and no doubt more time off work........

Dad thought he was there for his foot :eek: