Firms refusing to acknowledge POA

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I have just been through a maze with Vodafone. I firstly phoned the number they advertised as being to do with PoA. I had obtained a code which they took down and accepted. But then I was told that dementia is not a "critical illness" and therefore they would not cancel his contract, it would automatically expire if the phone wasn't used for three months. I argued, to no avail. Next I tried the on line chat who couldn't do anything about it but gave me another phone number to the critical illness team. That person was shocked at what I had been told and said that the contract would be cancelled and that I could stop the direct debit, which I did.

Then I got an email from the critical illness team saying that they could not trace the contract and it must be an anonymous pay as you go. I phoned the previous number again and this time the whole mess was sorted out. They had got the number wrong, and I know I didn't tell them wrong because this was our only mobile phone for 20 years and I can just rattle it off. The person I spoke to warned me that I might get a letter from a debt collection agency because this happened automatically when a direct debit was stopped, but to ignore it. I find this shocking - do they not even try to find out why the DD was cancelled first? It could have been a mistake/inability to pay/anything. My own phone is on a Vodafone contract but I will be switching as soon as it ends.
As always:
If you want to argue better
Always stop to write a letter

Wigan Lass

Jul 26, 2019
I have an activated POA for my mum who has alzheimers. Halifax were really great and I managed to get access to the finances pretty quickly. However, everything else is proving really tricky.

Her British Gas bill has trebled but we have no paper bills or anything which shows their usage. They have an old email address on their records which she no longer has access to (google email are pretty much locked down if you can't remember your password or any of the security question answers.) Because of this and the fact that my mum couldn't answer their offshore call centre questions they refused to deal with us. I have tried sending in the POA by post the complaints team but still no access.

Virgin Media pretty much the same thing. Their TV packages is costing £150 per month and they only watch free channels and again, they are refusing access to anything because mum cannot answer questions from when she set up the account ten years ago. Again they are refusing to even discuss the POA unless Mum can answer those questions.

I have no idea where to go next with these companies. I am submitted complaints to both of them in writing but nothing seems to happen. In the meantime my parents are financially in a difficult position due to the proportion of their pension these payments represent. They only have state pension plus a tiny amount of private pension to live on. Where can I go to to get help?
I have just dealt with all utilities and Virgin Media using the priority services on behalf of my Mum they did not ask for proof of my POA
There is no way someone with dementia can be expected to remember passwords etc from years ago that were used very little

Cinnamon009

Feb 12, 2022
This seems strange, nearly all big firms are used to POA situations. How would your mother be involved and asked questions? Normally the attorney submits the registered poa copy, the PWD would not be asked questions. If they need the PWD to answer security questions there must be some reason why these companies don't accept the poa. Has it been registered with the office of the Public Guardian? My guess is that there's a piece of the jigsaw missing.
The LPA is registered and activated. I telephoned Virgin when I found out how much they were being charged and asked who I send the LPA to and if they can use the online code instead as I had with Halifax so i can sort out their package. Wouldn't even give me an address to send the LPA to unless Mum could answer security so all i could do was send it in with a complaint. Not heard a peep since. Telephone twice since to chase the complaint and just met with same response. Wont engage at all unless Mum can give security andwers. My mum is very reliant on the TV so no way I can cancel the direct debit however tempting it is. So at the point I called them they didn't have the LPA as nothing online about where to send it. They haven't asked any questions about the LPA they are just ignoring it. I'm met with a wall of silence.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Wouldn't even give me an address to send the LPA to unless Mum could answer security so all i could do was send it in with a complaint
Send certified copy, not original, of LPA to
Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Ask how you can set up your own access to your mum's account so you can amend package as required, also ask that any early cancellation charges are waived.

Cinnamon009

Feb 12, 2022
Send certified copy, not original, of LPA to
Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Ask how you can set up your own access to your mum's account so you can amend package as required, also ask that any early cancellation charges are waived.
That's the same address for complaints so its the address I sent a copy of the LPA to with my complaint about 8 weeks ago. Not heard anything back.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
That's the same address for complaints so its the address I sent a copy of the LPA to with my complaint about 8 weeks ago. Not heard anything back.
Complaints, Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

Your letter will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt and we aim to resolve all written complaints within 28 days once we’ve received them.

If we don’t hear from you within the 28 days from the date of the letter, we’ll take this as confirmation you’re satisfied with the resolution and we’ll write to you again to let you know we’re closing your complaint.

Try email to CEO

2022-05-26_211110-medium-png.65902

SolarBod

Jul 23, 2022
I'm struggling with Vodafone. My Mum has just moved into a 'Housing With Extra Care' scheme where she has her own 1 bed flat with on site 24 hour care. She's able to have her own landline and, as I'm already a named contact on my Mum's Vodafone Broadband/Landline account, thought it would be simple to do a straightforward 'house move' to get her account and phone line transfered to the new address.

I thought wrong. I ended up on Live Chat for about 90 minutes being passed from team to team before being told that a house move could only be initiated by the named account holder. I then said that I have LPA and asked how to register it with them. Was told that the account holder would still have to confirm this was OK so had to spend 10 minutes explaining what an LPA was - all on Live Chat. Finally got sent a link to a web page which (I'm new here and can't post web link yet) you can find easily by Googling "vodafone lasting power of attorney"

. . . which says that they can take 45 days to register an LPA. There's a link there to "your declaration" (a form you can't complete online) and the email address to contact (powerofattorney'at'help.vodafone.co.uk) No phone number though!

They haven't yet acknowledged receipt of my emails, the completed form or the LPA and ID documents I've sent. Mum's now without a phone - her lifeline to friends and family - so I'm looking at starting a new account with a new provider. Anyone got any tips on how to 'encourage' Vodafone to recognise my LPA?

Halifax and HSBC (eventually) made it pretty straightforward so I struggle to see how it can be so hard for Vodafone?

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
I'm struggling with Vodafone. My Mum has just moved into a 'Housing With Extra Care' scheme where she has her own 1 bed flat with on site 24 hour care. She's able to have her own landline and, as I'm already a named contact on my Mum's Vodafone Broadband/Landline account, thought it would be simple to do a straightforward 'house move' to get her account and phone line transfered to the new address.

I thought wrong. I ended up on Live Chat for about 90 minutes being passed from team to team before being told that a house move could only be initiated by the named account holder. I then said that I have LPA and asked how to register it with them. Was told that the account holder would still have to confirm this was OK so had to spend 10 minutes explaining what an LPA was - all on Live Chat. Finally got sent a link to a web page which (I'm new here and can't post web link yet) you can find easily by Googling "vodafone lasting power of attorney"

. . . which says that they can take 45 days to register an LPA. There's a link there to "your declaration" (a form you can't complete online) and the email address to contact (powerofattorney'at'help.vodafone.co.uk) No phone number though!

They haven't yet acknowledged receipt of my emails, the completed form or the LPA and ID documents I've sent. Mum's now without a phone - her lifeline to friends and family - so I'm looking at starting a new account with a new provider. Anyone got any tips on how to 'encourage' Vodafone to recognise my LPA?

Halifax and HSBC (eventually) made it pretty straightforward so I struggle to see how it can be so hard for Vodafone?
If you go back to the previous page of this thread you will see my Vodafone story on the last post. I suggest you try live chat again and ask for the number of the critical illness team. They were very helpful. Good luck.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could try a different approach and see is there is a Vodafone shop near you
they may only deal with mobiles.

Go in with with any proof you are named contact, copy of LPA, and proof of Mum's new address. Lay it on thick, vulnerable person without any access to emergency services and unable to contact friends.

Also look at
even if Mum is not registered as vulnerable they may be able to help.

Does being a named contact mean you are a nominated person
• Vodafone Protected Service Scheme – If a customer has difficulty managing their account they can nominate a person to look after their account for them and speak on their behalf.

There are disadvantages in going with a new provider:-

• Early termination charge with Vodafone.
  • Change of phone number.
  • If email address is a Vodafone one access will probably be lost together with all email archives if POP and not SMTP

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
I work in a call centre, for the NHS

In any job there are guidelines that should be followed. In most situations on the phone we are unable to offer a personal opinion, it can sound scripted but it isn’t at all we are following the guidelines given.
I am helpful by nature, but the response I give can be limited at times. This can be frustrating for the caller, and I get shouted/sworn at daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

SolarBod

Jul 23, 2022
If you go back to the previous page of this thread you will see my Vodafone story on the last post. I suggest you try live chat again and ask for the number of the critical illness team. They were very helpful. Good luck.
Thanks @Carmenjane. Unfortunately Live Chat have been awful so far - just keep regurgitating the same script to assure me they're taking it seriously and then transfer me to the next agent who's equally unable to help. I will try again and ask for the 'critical illness' number before I escalate and go more public with this shenanigans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69