fireworks and dementia

Nellie1

Oct 26, 2016
Hello all. I wonder if you can help me. I am involved in a small campaign about fireworks. I read something on this forum a couple of years ago by a carer for her dad. He was distressed during firework season. I have been a carer for my sister who died with MND and FTD. In contrast she was not upset by fireworks at all.

Does anyone struggle to care for a loved one during the firework period and if so how does it affect them. I was horrified when I read the other post and I do not know what we would have done when caring for my sister if a bad situation had been made worse.

Thanks all and take care x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Nellie and welcome. I've just noticed your post and that you've had no replies, so am posting this in order to bump up your post in the hope that someone with experience will be able to help you. I'm sure people will be along soon with their thoughts.

Best wishes.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Morning Nellie, nice to hear of your campaign.

OH hates fireworks and the next week is going to be hard for her. They started last night actually. Although, she is also easily scared and upset by cars, motorbikes and scooters. Anything noisy seems to do it recently. That is hard when we live in the city and have no money to move out.

How do we deal with it? Lots of reassurance including calm talking and touching arms, hugs and that sort of thing usually help to get her through it.

All the best to you.

Digilux108

Nov 7, 2016
Essex
Hello all. I wonder if you can help me. I am involved in a small campaign about fireworks. I read something on this forum a couple of years ago by a carer for her dad. He was distressed during firework season. I have been a carer for my sister who died with MND and FTD. In contrast she was not upset by fireworks at all.

Does anyone struggle to care for a loved one during the firework period and if so how does it affect them. I was horrified when I read the other post and I do not know what we would have done when caring for my sister if a bad situation had been made worse.

Thanks all and take care x

Sadly my mother died in August, but I remember that in 2015 and 2014, she became very distressed and agitated during the firework season. It used to make me very angry because it took great efforts to calm her down. We also have someone who drives past on a very noisy motorcycle and this too made her very agitated.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Nellie, as in your sister's case, my husband is not the slightest bit bothered by fireworks.

Surprising really because in many other respects he really detests loud noises.

Digilux108

Nov 7, 2016
Essex
You might be interested to note that there is a petition with nearly 144,000 signatures asking government to debate the banning of the sale of fireworks to the public and approve only organised display.