Firefox trick - Have you ever closed a tab by mistake and lost an unsaved post!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Sometimes I find a trick and feel desperate to share!
Here is one of them.

I use the Firefox browser to view web content all the time now; the newer version allow multiple tabs, and more often than not I have more than one tab open. If you use the same browser you may have accidentally hit the close button when trying to switch between tabs. It is so easy to do. You click on the tab after typing a long post and the tab is gone! If this has happened to you read on.

It's happened to me while multitasking, perhaps looking up a spelling or another site while in the middle of a long post. Hit the close symbol 'x' by mistake and lost the tab and all my hard work.

The fix:

Today I noticed that if you right click on any tab there is an option to 'Undo Close Tab'

Couldn't believe my luck! The closed tab is back with the content of the message that I'd typed but not submitted/saved!

Hopefully this will help someone in a similar pickle some day.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh Craig you angel. I have recently had to move to firefox and have by not any means become accustomed to it. This has happened to me and I didn't realize I could get the tab back. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Firefox - Getting the British Spellchecker working

And one more trick as I have the attention of some firefox users.

Firefox has a build in spell checker. You get red squiggles under misspelt words and you can right click and pick a correctly spelled word from the list. The spell checker if very useful for checking Talking Point posts before you submit.

However, or newer Versions of firefox, this facility seems to disappear.

Here is a trick to get the spell checker working (by using firfox addons - these are little extra programs that run with firefox):

1. Click on Tools (at the top of the firefox window)
2. Click on Add Ons
3. The Add ons window is displayed.
4. Click on the link Browse all add-ons
5. A new tab is displayed with the Add On search.
6. Enter 'British English Dictionary' where it says 'Search for Add ons'
5. Click on the big green button that says Add to firefox.

You will need to restart firefox and next time you type in the browser the spellchecker should be working.

Hope this helps
Craig

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I have been offered a choice of a second browser and was wondering which to choose.

(You know I am illiterate) Perhaps I will look into Firefox, and plague you then with questions. Thanks Craig.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Have you ever closed a tab by mistake and lost an unsaved post!
This also works on Google's Chrome browser - I just checked!

Grief! it also works on Internet Explorer.

So, whatever regular browser is used, it seems a closed tab can be rescued.

I haven't tried Safari - well, there is a limit to the number of browsers I use.

I do use Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox daily for different types of web site. Chrome is nice and minimal, but I love the customisation of Firefox - I have Yosemite in the top bar!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Cool Bruce :cool:
I'm a massive fan of firefox.
Loads of great add-ons and really fast and slick.

For example, the ScrapBook add-on is great for saving pages so they can be views when you are offline, e.g. plane trips etc. Firefox has it quirks but being open source there are going to be a lot more gadgets added in the future.

Have had a lot of problems with google chrome and IE on windows 7 64-bit. As microsoft created the 64bit version of windows, you'd think they would make support for IE a little easier.

Back in my geek box
Craig

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75