Finding Things In Funny Places!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everybody!

Anyone else found things in odd places whilst clearing? I am continuing with the clearing and finding things that I'd forgotten about or never knew existed however what were a pair of pruners that I don't remember ever seeing before doing in a cupboard under the stairs????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't actually imagine dad putting these things here Alzheimers or not so I wonder if mum (non-dementia) put them there by mistake.

I wonder what else I'll find!

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh, I found all sorts of things in mums home @MaNaAk
The deeds of her home stuffed right behind the chest of drawers in her bedroom. Her will folded up in her best tablecloth in the linen cupboard. Unpaid bills in the airing cupboard "posted" between the towels. Various stashes of cash, including one of £800 in her knicker drawer, jewellery keys and small ornaments wrapped in tissues in her shoes, important documents like her birth and marriage certificates sandwiched between books in the bookcase and a gold chain in the tea caddy under the tea bags.

Check everything before you get rid of it!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @canary,

I will do but it's like an Aladdin's cave isn't it! Fancy finding £800 also maybe I'll find dad's original birth certificate that he magicked away when his Alzheimers was mild. I still remember when we cleared dad's room at the home and finding several things that I didn't recognise. I'm certainly having an interesting time doing this!

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
When my mum died we found £16,000 in a Tetley tea tin in her bedroom. Never expected that. We checked everything we cleared after that. She used to worry that if dad died first she’d have no money but she would have kept a portion of this private pension.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I found an expensive ring, wrapped in tissue, that was rolled up in blouse, that was folded up in a blanket.
And a tin of baked beans in a flower vase

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
An expensive ring and £16000 is just amazing. I have found clothes in odd places as dad was packing to go 'home' but I will let you know what else I find.

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad had 4 nice suits in his wardrobe, all hanging up nicely in their plastic covers, I checked the pockets and yes every suit had it's own comb. Dad had combs everywhere,

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
How strange! I found some barbers scissors/comb in a drawer in the kitchen. How did dad get hold of them and what were they doing in the kitchen?

MaNaAk

pinkslippers2106

Jul 14, 2020
It's all about their security and control (what's left of it!). Mum has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers. It's the Alzheimers that makes them collect/hide things. Mum collects and hides TV remotes!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad was collecting things like this long before Alzheimers and now it's up to me to clear it out.

I still think of their smiling faces.

MaNaAk

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Dad was collecting things like this long before Alzheimers and now it's up to me to clear it out.

I still think of their smiling faces.

MaNaAk
We found £2000 inside the cushion covers when clearing out my dad's bungalow. I would have thrown the cushions into the rubbish but my brother took the covers off before throwing them away. I don't know why. We were very lucky.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's like a treasure hunt, isn't it? We didn't have that, as I had moved Mum from British Columbia to Ontario in 2001. I packed everything up she wanted (she wasn't diagnosed at that point so it was quite interesting). She went into a retirement home shortly after arriving in Ontario and my sister and I had to go through 55 boxes of everything. The boxes were at least 2' x 2' x 2' so were quite large. We had packed all her clothes and Mum had everything from a size 6 to a size 20 - she had never thrown anything away. Then there were the pallets of large bulky items. Oh my! But it made everything much easier for us when she died.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Isn't it amazing! Today I have been shredding more documents and it's nice to
get rid of it.

MaNaAk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA