Finding the right technology

JemKathrens

Oct 7, 2020
Hello to all. I have a question which I hope someone will be able to help me with. My 92 year old mother suffers from a degenerative form of Alzheimers/Dementia and lives not in a care home but in a place for people to live independently within a caring community. My problem is that she is free to come and go as she pleases and I would very much like to be able to track her movements. I'm familiar with a number of GPS trackers specific to Alzheimers/Dementia sufferers but my mother will actively discard things like lanyards, jewellery, watches etc so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something like a bracelet or watch that she could wear but also locks so that she would not be able to take it off. If anyone has any suggestions I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hello to all. I have a question which I hope someone will be able to help me with. My 92 year old mother suffers from a degenerative form of Alzheimers/Dementia and lives not in a care home but in a place for people to live independently within a caring community. My problem is that she is free to come and go as she pleases and I would very much like to be able to track her movements. I'm familiar with a number of GPS trackers specific to Alzheimers/Dementia sufferers but my mother will actively discard things like lanyards, jewellery, watches etc so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something like a bracelet or watch that she could wear but also locks so that she would not be able to take it off. If anyone has any suggestions I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi

My late wife had such a tracker "watch" which was provided by our local authority, in partnership with a carer support organisation. It was a bit like an apple watch but much chunkier (thicker). The rubber strap could either be removable by the user or substituted with a lockable version (small pronged device that released the fastening).

It used a combination of satellite and GPS signal to track and a geo-fencing perimeter could also be set, if needed. There was no user interface, as it was a monitored system, meaning an alarm centre would receive alerts (if the wearer went outside of the agreed area) or the alarm "button" on the watch was held depressed. You (the relative) could also contact the centre in an emergency and they could pinpoint the wearer's location. They could also talk to the person directly.

Fortunately, we never used it in earnest but it gave me great peace of mind.

I don't think the forum rules permit me from providing details of the company/product (I got chastised previously for doing so) but if you wish to pm me, I will try and see if I still have any information, if this helps.

Phil

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi Phil. That sounds like something that might be of use. Thanks. How do I pm you btw?

Not 100% sure but think if you click on my profile, you should get an option to "start new conversation"? If I am not online, it will give me a prompt that I've a new message waiting, the next time I log in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tfjala