Finding somewhere close to mum

Denisel64

Jul 30, 2021
Hi Everyone,

My mum has moderate Alzheimers Dementia and I live 64 miles away. I currently rent from my local council and am looking to move closer to my mum so I can take some of the load off my sister who lives near mum.

I am of a mind that a council rent will take too long so we are looking to private rent and I will be giving up my job and claiming Universal Credit. A lot of Agents / Landlords seem reluctant to entertain Universal Credit and I do not have anyone to ask to be a guarantor.

I am desperate to find somewhere to live as soon as and would appreciate any information anyone has to offer.

I actually found a property but they wanted a guarantor, which as I mentioned I do not have access to.

Kind regards
Denise

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Denise64 , welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly place and you'll get lots of support and advice here.
You are probably not going to like what I'm going to say, but I would think long and hard about giving up your job and moving near your mum. I can see you want to help your sister out, but can you do that by offering to do a weekend a month, or take time off to take her to appointments.? There are things you could do remotely like chasing up appointments or ordering groceries on-line. If you do want to move nearer, can you find a job in the locality first, which will then solve the finding somewhere to live dilemma?
I think before you do anything definite, I'd take a few days off work and see what 'helping out' would actually mean. Remember your mum is the best she is going to be today.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Denisel64 welcome from me too. I agree with @Sarasa that you should weigh up all the pros and cons carefully before giving up your job and your home. Very few landlords will entertain universal credit and it would be much easier to find a place if you have a job and can pass the affordability test.

It’s very easy to get into caring and very hard to get out. As my dad’s carer I was always grateful for any break I could get and, although I didn’t want to, I found it much easier to cope once dad had carers in daily to check on him and help in whatever way he needed. Imagine that carers and regular monthly breaks would help your sister greatly.

Denisel64

Jul 30, 2021
Hi all, Thank you for your kind responses and advise, very much appreciated. I have no qualms giving up my job and moving as I want to do what I can while I can for mum and my sister has coped remarkably on her own but she is getting stressed and tired now so I want to share the load. I have done care work several years ago and I know its totally different caring for a loved one. I shall persevere with my search and keep you posted.
Kind regards and best wishes to one and all.