finding mum in a corner because she does not know how to get out

widdy

May 26, 2015
Hi Mum is in a very good caring NH she has dementia but I have never been told which type. Some days I visit and I can get some conversation if it is only in her world of the past. Other days nothing at all just maybe a look that I have to say does scare me a little. She will walk around the home for ages(she hated walking when my dad was alive) but I have found her on a few occassions stuck in a corner because she can not remember how to walk back to get out. Today on my visit I found her standing in her room just walking on the spot, I took her hands to walk her to her chair but she could not remember how to walk all she did was move her feet up and down. I did uneventfully get her seated but by then she was so tired she just slept or talked in riddles to me. I know that this is all part of the horrible illness but sometimes I just wish she would close those eyes and go and meet my dad and find peace. Does any one else's parent or loved one suffer from being cold my mum is so cold to the touch the home is warm and she has thermal vest etc on but she is always so very cold like ice. Thank you for reading this it is lovely to think I can write it down how I feel and know that there are others out there like me who just wish the best for our loved ones

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My goodness that must have been distressing for you as well as for your Mum. It is interesting that she is still on her feet and walking albeit on the spot when she cannot remember how to step out. My own feeling is that she must be at an extreme stage for this to happen but this illness is so unpredictable that I could be quite wrong.

Good wishes to you. It is so hard at times.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
but sometimes I just wish she would close those eyes and go and meet my dad and find peace

Yes, I know just how you feel, we both feel the same about MIL but it took ages to actually talk about it.

The walking? MIL hasn't been able to walk for a couple of years now but when she could it did feel like she was forgetting how to and eventually it just faded away.

MIL often says she feels cold, but isn't cold to touch and the NH is always boiling hot so sorry I can't be any more help on that one. Hopefully somebody who can answer that will be along soon.

Welcome to TP by the way. Not where any of us want to be, but there's always a welcome here and lots of good advice.

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Lewy body

hi mum is in a very good caring nh she has dementia but i have never been told which type. Some days i visit and i can get some conversation if it is only in her world of the past. Other days nothing at all just maybe a look that i have to say does scare me a little. She will walk around the home for ages(she hated walking when my dad was alive) but i have found her on a few occassions stuck in a corner because she can not remember how to walk back to get out. Today on my visit i found her standing in her room just walking on the spot, i took her hands to walk her to her chair but she could not remember how to walk all she did was move her feet up and down. I did uneventfully get her seated but by then she was so tired she just slept or talked in riddles to me. I know that this is all part of the horrible illness but sometimes i just wish she would close those eyes and go and meet my dad and find peace. Does any one else's parent or loved one suffer from being cold my mum is so cold to the touch the home is warm and she has thermal vest etc on but she is always so very cold like ice. Thank you for reading this it is lovely to think i can write it down how i feel and know that there are others out there like me who just wish the best for our loved ones
hi my wife has lewy body , she is the same has you mam walks around do not know where she is or going .hands very cold has well can not work out how to get into bed. Crys first thing in the mornnig still mid day .

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think the walking is pretty common, my wife rarely sits down for ore than 10 minutes without getting up and heading off to another room, although she walks quite slowly we still go for walks outside and she never complains that we've gone too far or been walking for too long. Unlike many or even most on here my wife doesn't feel the cold or the heat come to that, she seems to have become impervious to temperature, I guess that makes my life a bit easier.
K

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi Widdy welcome to Talking point you will find it a great place to get advice and support my OH has forgotten how to walk before this happened he would walk continuously never sitting for more than 5 mins he too is always cold don't know why as care home is hot xxx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there Widdy - like you I wish my lovely mum would close her eyes and go to that peaceful eternal sleep. My mum also speaks riddles and now doesn't recognise me. Though she is sleeping so much now . Has you say all part of this vile evil illness but it doesn't make it easy does it hun? x

My mum has cold hands but warm to touch else where.

Just a hug also and to say so many people understand what you are going through and you will get so much support on here - from a simple virtual hug to help and advice . xxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix