Finding it hard to deal with the death of our dear mum

Tonixxx

Oct 31, 2017
Hi, its 6 months today (8th Oct) that we lost our mum. Mum had Alzheimers for 6 years, she was diagnosed in 2014 when she was just 60. Mum went into respite on 7th March this year, we spoke with her Social Worker who suggested respite for mum. As a family we were in two minds about doing it, but we had to cos dad (my stepdad, yet my sisters dad with mum) he was finding it hard to coping with mum at home. The carer situation wasn't really going anywhere to be honest, so we suggested one week in the care home for respite, but mum's Social Worker suggested a fortnight. Mum went in the home on 7th March then we went into lockdown, and so we weren't able to visit mum but beforehand I would go see mum for the majority of the til late at night, admittedly not everyday, but what I know now I would of stayed the night or better still wouldn't of placed her the home at all. But at that moment in time nobody knew what was around the corner, nobody knew that COVID was going to cause many illnesses or deaths. So one minute mum was in the home then the next mum was taken into hospital on the Tuesday 7th April, then passed away the following day Wednesday 8th April. Obviously we weren't allowed to go the hospital either, only my sister could 'cos she doesn't have any health issues like myself and my stepdad is 70. Apparently the care home said that mum didn't have any symptoms with regard to COVID, so it was a shock when she passed away.

Last edited:

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Tonixxx . I'm sorry to read your story. I fear that there will be many similar stories during the current situation.

We can only ever do what we think best at the time with the information that we have. As you say, nobody knew what was around the corner. You did the best you could. I hope that you and your family have many happy memories of your Mum that you can share.

Tattooed Mark

Sep 19, 2020
Hi Toni,my mum was diagnosed in 2013 and passed this June.I understand,looking back on events with Covid restrictions.Mum went in hospital with a UTI but I couldn't visit for a week,saw her for three days when they told me this could be final days then hospital restrictions came back and couldn't see her for another five days.Should I have insisted and got her home week earlier,as the UTI was clear and no covid?Would she have picked up,eaten a little,drank?There was a time I was beating myself up over it,daily tears of loss.It's still a shock when I look back now,a bit easier than back in June but words can't express the loss,can they?We can only remember their life,love,the memories they have given us to keep going and keep talking about them! People care here.Look after yourself

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi Tony

I've just lost my mum 30th September 62. She actually died on her birthday strangely. Mum was in a care home for 3 years and had frontal lobe dementia for 5 years. Because of covid we weren't able to see her at all untill end of June and then it was outside 3 meters away. aI'd just had my first little boy her first grandchild! So pleased for she got to meet him. Towards the end they let us see her. With full PPE on.
I don't really know what the purpose of me posting this is except in sorry for the loss of your mum in such rubbish circumstances.

Thinking of you.

Sara

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC