Finding care home in wider area

16Rocky

Jun 5, 2019
my dad has Alzheimer’s but his aggression is more advanced than his other symptoms, so this is the second time we have been asked to move him. We are running out of options in our local area, because he doesn’t fit the profile for dementia units as he is still mobile and would be stressed by other people touching his things. We are prepared to look further afield to find the right setting for him, but mental health and social workers are very good on local units but don’t know about the larger area. He is self-funding. I understand why services are community-focused, but I find it frustrating that there doesn’t seem to be links between areas. The first time he moved I found the social worker really helpful, but I am worried that not having that inside knowledge for homes further away amounts to a leap in the dark, whatever reports on the internet might say.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m afraid the only way you can find the best option @16Rocky is by personal visits.

I had a few days compassionate leave from work to try to find somewhere for my mother. Is there any chance you could ask for this.