Finding care home for husband with complex needs

Carer12

Jul 1, 2017
Hi

My husband he’s beeen described by the staff on the acute dementia inpatient ward where he is currently staying, as having complex needs and needing one to one support in a care home now he is medically ready to leave their care. He was admitted 4 months ago under section 2 and then section 3 of the mental health act, Local socIal services have offered 2 homes for me to look at but I am not happy with them. One has a very poor CQC report and the steps in the building will result in a high risk of falls. it is dark and full of long narrow corridors with little outside space. The other was so noisy when I visited that I had to leave. Shouting and loud noises are a trigger for my lovely husband to become agitated. Hours of online searching and making calls has not helped me to find other suitable homes to look at. Online they say can meet complex needs but when I visit and explain his needs homes say they cannot accommodation one to one support ie his needs are too great. Can anyone recomend a resource that would identify suitable homes ie those that can meet complex needs in a calm person centred supportive environment. He is in his early 70’s and physically fit and well.

Kate

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi

My husband he’s beeen described by the staff on the acute dementia inpatient ward where he is currently staying, as having complex needs and needing one to one support in a care home now he is medically ready to leave their care. He was admitted 4 months ago under section 2 and then section 3 of the mental health act, Local socIal services have offered 2 homes for me to look at but I am not happy with them. One has a very poor CQC report and the steps in the building will result in a high risk of falls. it is dark and full of long narrow corridors with little outside space. The other was so noisy when I visited that I had to leave. Shouting and loud noises are a trigger for my lovely husband to become agitated. Hours of online searching and making calls has not helped me to find other suitable homes to look at. Online they say can meet complex needs but when I visit and explain his needs homes say they cannot accommodation one to one support ie his needs are too great. Can anyone recomend a resource that would identify suitable homes ie those that can meet complex needs in a calm person centred supportive environment. He is in his early 70’s and physically fit and well.

Kate
I only had a choice of 2 homes, luckily the one he is in is lovely, not posh but the care is fantastic, it also has a lot of outside space which will be lovely once the weather cheers up, my husband is 71 and is also fit. Social services have sorted everything out for me as we are not self funding, I don't know how I would have managed without them. I don't know where you live, we live in Warwickshire. Hope you can find somewhere soon. Take care. Lx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If he's been section 3 then the LA will have to fund on going care under section 117 funding so it's likely they've only told you about homes within their budget, go over that and you'll have to pay a third party top up as well as him losing his state pension and benefits.
One to one is massively expensive and the LA is highly unlikely to pay for that even for his waking hours which may vary.
Care homes take people based on what they can handle at that time, when someone goes out from my wife's home to do an assessment they do get told what kind of resident they're looking for and it has to be somebody that fits in with the current residents, it's their home and in some cases has been for many years so the home are looking for people to fit in with us not somebody who we'll have to adapt to.
Care homes are a fluid place and somewhere that will take him now may want him out in time as his needs change, you can't get too specific, it doesn't work that way.
Sorry to sound negative but the "perfect" care home doesn't exist throughout the course of the later stages of AZ.
Currently my wife is one of the shouters, she used to be one of the wanderers and one of the random pee's, sadly her mobility has declined so now she's reduced to sitting in her chair making shouty noises, but luckily the home are able to adapt to her needs.
If the LA funding level isn't an issue and you can pay a top up then there are "brokers" in many areas who can apparently assist in finding the best/most suitable care homes for a fee.
K