Finding a dog for my mother and father

nuoptik

Jul 19, 2020
Hi,

My 74 y.o. mum has vascular dementia mostly as a result of a stroke last year - in retrospect we can now see some of the early signs before the stroke. She and my 71 y.o. father live alone. She is mobile and verbal, but often doesn't recognise my dad as himself. She has invented a handful of different identities for him.

I have begun to think that them having a dog might be a great idea. She had one as a child, and we had a family dog when i was younger. When she's confused she sometimes thinks that last dog is still alive and asks after it (although it died 17 years ago). She suffers from anxiety about where the "little children" are (my brother and I are 42 and 47), and I think she could benefit from something to "look after", to give her some purpose.

My dad is open to the idea. He see's the potential benefits from it, but worries about finding a dog which will match their energy levels.

I have found some articles about dogs and dementia patients that seem very positive, and one charity that's in scotland for people in scotland, and i'm sold on the idea.

Does anyone have any other information, on charities or people, they can put me in touch with that might aid in finding the right dog for my parents? I don't think they are up for a puppy, or anything that needs large amounts of exercise - but don't necessarily need a trained service dog either. I am registering with animal shelters, but wondered if there was someone specific that could help us out, with prior experience of this.

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks in advance,

Julian

PS. My parents and I live in West and East Sussex respectively.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'd say go for an older dog, maybe a bit of a plodder :)

If you contact the charities I'm sure they can find you a suitable one. Not all dogs 'in care' are difficult or have been abused or abandoned. Some are there because their elderly owners have died - one like that might be a good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife