Find out what it's like to take part in research

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
A large number of dementia research studies rely on participants who kindly give up their time to take part, but they often find it difficult to reach enough people.

Alzheimer’s Society has recently launched a new video series that follows three individuals, Martin, Eva and Gary, as they undergo five common dementia research assessments.

We hope the videos will help people make well informed decisions about taking part in research, and encourage people to consider whether they might be able to volunteer.

Alzheimer’s Society supports a service called Join Dementia Research that matches people with research studies looking for participants. Anyone over the age of 18 can sign up, whether they have a diagnosis of dementia or not. You can sign up online, or chat to our trained helpline advisers by calling 0300 222 11 22.

Let us know if you find these videos helpful, and if they help to answer the questions that you might have about taking part in research :)

Register your interest in dementia research online: https://www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk/ or through our helpline (again, that's 0300 222 11 22).

If you have any questions in the meantime, please email researchenquiries@alzheimers.org.uk

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
"but they often find it difficult to reach enough people."
I was told I was signed up a couple of weeks ago, but have heard nothing.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
@Pejic
Our Admin found this

Registering with Join Dementia Research does not necessarily mean that there will be a study available to you straight away. However, when a suitable study does come along, researchers will be able to see that you have already registered your interest in taking part. It is important to regularly update your personal details to ensure you have the best opportunity to take part in vital dementia research.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
It might be polite/reassuring if they could at least acknowledge that they were aware of my interest, especially in view of the comment that instigated this thread: "but they often find it difficult to reach enough people."

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I signed up to a project about 5 years ago. Found out I carried a gene for az. They gave me cat scan and MRI scan with dyes and found nothing amiss. A great relief for the next few years at least. ?

I had the option of not knowing the genetic results and also got a good medical check up. My BP was alarmingly high (I put it to stress , mum was awaiting diagnosis, had leg ulcers and was being really hateful at the time).