find one thing to make you smile every day - Margy's Dementia Diary spicel2014.blog

LauraS

Jun 25, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Hello Fellow carers
My Mum, Margy was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009 and was living alone, it was getting very stressful, dashing back and forwards from my house to hers to help her. We made a massive step to move her into our family home to care for her here in March 2013. We have 2 children under 10 years old too, so it has been a big change for everyone.
The only way we've got through it is to find one thing to laugh about every day!
I've been posting alot of comments on my facebook page, and my friends have been pushing me to start a BLOG as they think my comments may help cheer up other carers in similar positions and help them remain positive.

I've just started my blog "spicel2014.blogspot.co.uk" called "Margys Dementia Diary" and I hope some of you may enjoy following it!

here's an extract from last week...

Mum doesn't seem keen on January's healthy eating plan... this morning found last night's dinner of smoked mackerel, steamed vegetables and potatoes still on the plate, hidden in a drawer in her bedroom.

and today's BLOG:
Mum appears to be living in a different time zone to the rest of the UK, she seems to be turning nocturnal and wants to sleep half the day, and be awake half the night, which is causing problems as its the opposite to the rest of the household. We are seriously considering uprooting the family and moving to Sydney!

please follow my Blogs for more and keep your chins up, and think positively :)

Last edited:

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Sounds great, will definitely be following you but suggest you watch as she eats in future, lol, x

LauraS

Jun 25, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Sounds great, will definitely be following you but suggest you watch as she eats in future, lol, x

Thanks, good thinking!! although, she often prefers to eat quietly on her own in her 'granny flat' on the top floor of our house as sometimes my children are too much for her to deal with. Last week we discovered her eating scrunched up tissues and ignoring the toast and jam we'd given her!
xx