Financing Live-in care

leafylaine

Dec 16, 2016
Hi.
I recently read on a care agency website that a person does not have to sell their house to finance their care if they have live-in care - is this true?

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I can't think how this can be right. If true, everyone would simply opt for live-in carers (which are very expensive).

Obviously if a person has other assets or enough income then their house is safe, otherwise I can't imagine any councils would finance this, given how much they're struggling already.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi.
I recently read on a care agency website that a person does not have to sell their house to finance their care if they have live-in care - is this true?

The agency my mother-in-law used provided a live in carer service. I was quoted £1200 a week, excluding food, utility bills etc. Social services in my area will not fund live in care. If the person with dementia has enough income themselves to fund this, then obviously they won't need to sell a home. My mother-in-law didn't have enough income to cover those sort of charges without selling her home. The website you're looking at is aimed at self-funders