financing a care home and wheelchair car?

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
Hi, I have LPA for my dad who went into intermediate care following a fall resulting in a broken hip. [He did have a degree of memory loss but hadn't been diagnosed with dementia].
My questions are relating to his finances. He is self funding.

Firstly he has just received a bill from the local authority for the 1st 6 weeks of his care in a residential home. I was under the understanding [ and have read this in the care and support regulation 2014 government document online] that the first 6 weeks must be free if someone is in intermediate care. Can anyone confirm this? I do not want dad to pay a bill just shy of £3000 if he doesn't have to.

Secondly, he is having physio treatment but it is looking more and more likely he wont walk again. He is having great difficulty standing - even with 2 people supporting. I would like to be able to take him on days out or even just back home for a few hours at the weekend but would need a wheelchair accessible car. I cannot fund this and this is my question. Could dad pay for a wheelchair car, which would be in my name as I would drive and insure it, without it being looked upon as some form of deprivation of assets? It would be for his use/wellbeing after all. I would like to do this because the intention initially was that he returned home [lives with me] but do not want to get into trouble at a later date. I have spoken to dad who understands the suggestion and is happy with it.
Sorry it turned into a long story. Hope someone can advise. Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I thought you got 6 weeks disregard too.
Mum is self funding and was discharged from hospital to her care home after a TIA and she got 6 weeks disregard. Mind you, I had an awful lot of trouble with the care home financial department (not the care home itself - they are lovely) who tried to bill me for those 6 weeks and I had to write quite a stiff letter to the managers. I would suggest that you do the same.

As regards to the wheelchair assessable car, I dont know about them as mum can still shuffle around and I use a fold-up wheelchair that fits in the boot, but I do know that if it is for his benefit it would not be deemed to be deprivation of assets. Im sure someone who knows more than me about this will be along soon.

Last edited:

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
I thought you got 6 weeks disregard too.
Mum is self funding and was discharged from hospital to her care home after a TIA and she got 6 weeks disregard. Mind you, I had an awful lot of trouble with the care home financial department (not the care home itself - they are lovely) who tried to bill me for those 6 weeks and I had to write quite a stiff letter to the managers. I would suggest that you do the same.

As regards to the wheelchair assessable car, I dont know about them as mum can still shuffle around and I use a fold-up wheelchair that fits in the boot, but I do know that if it is for his benefit it would not be deemed to be deprivation of assets. Im sure someone who knows more than me about this will be along soon.

Thank you for your reply. I will phone the LA tomorrow re the 6 weeks. They pay the care home, then bill my dad. Hopefully its just an oversight and they will admit this.
Regarding the wheelchair car, I am going to look into it. I have an old car that I could put in part exchange but dad would have to make up the difference. In a way we both benefit as I would own/drive a more valuable vehicle however I would not be purchasing a wheelchair car were it not for dads situation. I worry because it seems you have to be so careful how your money is spent once you're in care

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Would it be an idea to initially try a wheelchair accessible taxi to bring your Dad home for a few hours? If you did that a few times, you could see how well you both coped before the expense of a new vehicle which may not get full use.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Firstly he has just received a bill from the local authority for the 1st 6 weeks of his care in a residential home. I was under the understanding [ and have read this in the care and support regulation 2014 government document online] that the first 6 weeks must be free if someone is in intermediate care. Can anyone confirm this?
This is from the New Care Act Guidance. (Their bolding). It should say on the invoice what the charge is for.
Where local authorities provide intermediate care or reablement to those who require it, this must be provided free of charge for a period of up to six weeks.

Secondly, he is having physio treatment but it is looking more and more likely he wont walk again. He is having great difficulty standing - even with 2 people supporting. I would like to be able to take him on days out or even just back home for a few hours at the weekend.............................
Not sure if your Dad qualifies for this....??
http://www.motability.co.uk/

As for "deprivation of assets" this has to be deliberate, to avoid paying for care and the LA will only possibly become concerned when your father is no longer self funding.

I wish you both well. :)

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, I thought of motability. It used to come with higher rate for mobility with DLA.however, that's changed to PIP, and there's a long waiting list for assessment, though you may be lucky and it's granted with no medical. Worth looking into.