1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Financial Support for Carer

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by LauraNadine, Oct 28, 2015.

1. LauraNadine

LauraNadine Registered User

Nov 7, 2013
    Stourbridge
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help - my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago, he currently receives PIP (higher rate) and mobility. Up until recently my Mom was going in a few times a week to help him out, but she will now be moving away (they've been divorced a long time) so I am going to need to do more. Before now I would go round a couple times a month.

I've had it agreed with my work that I can change my working hours, so that once a fortnight I'll have a day off to spend the entire day at my Dad's to help with whatever he needs - I'll also be going over a couple evenings a week to help with meals etc.

My boss seems to think that I should be entitled to some form of financial support, as I'll now be his main carer but I'm struggling to find anything definitive.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
  3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    It's mostly the person with dementia who is entitled. There is Attendance Allowance or in his case PIP, and following that, council tax exemption. He is also entitled to a needs assessment by Social Services (and you are to a carers assessment) which could open the doors to more support. If your Dad is not self-funding, he might receive certain support subsidised.

You yourself would not be entitled to Carers Allowance if you earn more than £110 a week, but you could always ask about certain carers grants or one off payments that may or may not be available in your borough.