Financial services

Papa60

Oct 17, 2019
I would appreciate some help..
I have Mixed Dementia. My Father has Dementia and I was wondering if he is able to receive any benefits. He worked until he was 65yrs old then retired. My Mother has also been retired for a long time. They are both in their 80's now and my Mother has mobility problems. They are fiercely independent people but are now having to depend on us " Kids "
Just wondering if anybody could help.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Papa60

I’m not certain how benefits work as it’s been some years since I had to apply for my dad. Back then he was entitled to Attendance Allowance as he was over retirement age and people under retirement age could apply for PIP. Hopefully someone who’s up to date will be along soon with up to date information.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Yes look at attendance allowance, it is quite straightforward if the criteria are met. Quite easy to read up on and apply.

Papa60

Oct 17, 2019
Hi @Papa60

I’m not certain how benefits work as it’s been some years since I had to apply for my dad. Back then he was entitled to Attendance Allowance as he was over retirement age and people under retirement age could apply for PIP. Hopefully someone who’s up to date will be along soon with up to date information.
Thankyou

Papa60

Oct 17, 2019
Hi @Papa60

Thankyou

Papa60

Oct 17, 2019
Hi @Papa60

Thankyou

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Our local carer service helped us with mums claim for Attendance allowance and I've heard of others having help from their local age uk service to fill in the form. They tend to have a better idea of how to word answers to the questions on the form. But if your parents need help with things they should be able to claim it. There are two levels of payment one for if just need help in the day and a higher level for if need help night and day, they don't have to be receiving the help already just fit criteria for needing help. It does take quite a while to be processed once form is sent in but if awarded it it is backdated. Good luck x