financial assessment

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My parents went into full time care in 2014,Dad in April,Mum in November.Mum passed away Sept 2015.Neither had a financial assessment as far as a I can make out,both LA funded.Their old house has now been sold after 2 and a bit years,not a huge amount of money involved,this part of the world has missed the bubble.But obviously enough capital to make them self funding for a short time.I registered POA in Feb 2015.My parents moved from their home into rented accommodation in July 2013.Is it my responsibility to contact LA or do I just wait for them to finally get their act together and do the financial assessment?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
My parents went into full time care in 2014,Dad in April,Mum in November.Mum passed away Sept 2015.Neither had a financial assessment as far as a I can make out,both LA funded.Their old house has now been sold after 2 and a bit years,not a huge amount of money involved,this part of the world has missed the bubble.But obviously enough capital to make them self funding for a short time.I registered POA in Feb 2015.My parents moved from their home into rented accommodation in July 2013.Is it my responsibility to contact LA or do I just wait for them to finally get their act together and do the financial assessment?
Do you mind saying what happened to the house from July 2013 when your parents moved out?
:)

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Of course not.Put on market Aug 13,finally sold November 15.
I am therefore surprised the LA have not been asking about it when your Dad first went into care.

If all the capital is going to go anyway then you might as well tell the LA as there isn't much you can do with it.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I am therefore surprised the LA have not been asking about it when your Dad first went into care.

If all the capital is going to go anyway then you might as well tell the LA as there isn't much you can do with it.

I'm surprised too.Poss explanation is that they moved from one LA where they owned their home to another where they rented.Both LA's fully aware of the situation.I take your point about the capital but as long as I can't get in to any trouble for not telling them I don't feel inclined to do their job for them.The money is there,they just need to come and get it.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
The money is there,they just need to come and get it.
Not sure if you are aware but any debt accrued before the New Care Act came in last April the LA have 3 years to start recovery. Any debt after that they have 6 years.

Just saying.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Not sure if you are aware but any debt accrued before the New Care Act came in last April the LA have 3 years to start recovery. Any debt after that they have 6 years.

Just saying.
I honestly have no intention of trying to avoid payment,I just don't feel it's up to me to get this sorted.We haven't had a single positive experience in our dealings with the new LA,I'm sure the paperwork is at the bottom of someone's in tray and will surface in good time.I am applying for probate for my late mother's estate,maybe the notice in the paper will trigger some action.The money will be ready and waiting when they ask for it.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I honestly have no intention of trying to avoid payment,I just don't feel it's up to me to get this sorted.We haven't had a single positive experience in our dealings with the new LA,
Please do not think I am suggesting you would, just pointing out
how what the new act says☺

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Please do not think I am suggesting you would, just pointing out
how what the new act says☺
I wasn't aware of the detail but I work for a large government dept and the rules are similar.After years of chasing and harassing to get the help my parents needed I'm ready to sit back and wait.A bit pathetic I suppose but it feels like a little bit of pay back

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
I honestly have no intention of trying to avoid payment,I just don't feel it's up to me to get this sorted.We haven't had a single positive experience in our dealings with the new LA,I'm sure the paperwork is at the bottom of someone's in tray and will surface in good time.I am applying for probate for my late mother's estate,maybe the notice in the paper will trigger some action.The money will be ready and waiting when they ask for it.

Personally I wouldnt actively tell them unless they enquire about it - as you say its not for you to do their job. However if you were asked to do another financial assessment you would have to declare it.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Personally I wouldnt actively tell them unless they enquire about it - as you say its not for you to do their job. However if you were asked to do another financial assessment you would have to declare it.

Yes I realise that and have no intention of not declaring it.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I have more or less decided to wait for them to get in touch.Getting quite angry when I think back over the rubbish we've had to deal with over past couple of years.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I'm confused why the LA paid fees with no deferred payment agreement on the house, and with no financial assessment? It makes me wonder if there was a financial assessment but since they were renting there was some confusion and the house they owned wasn't mentioned.

I've tried to see if there is an obligation to inform the LA if your financial circumstances improve, but it isn't mentioned on anything I can see. But you are going to have to sort it out if you are going to settle your mum's estate, and your dad's position is unclear until your mum's estate is sorted.

I would say, if it was me I would take the attitude that as POA for my dad, I had a responsibility to sort his affairs out, and that can't be done until any debt owed by your mum's estate is paid, so it would be my responsibility to chase it up and try to make sure the situation is resolved as quickly as possible.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I'm confused why the LA paid fees with no deferred payment agreement on the house, and with no financial assessment? It makes me wonder if there was a financial assessment but since they were renting there was some confusion and the house they owned wasn't mentioned.

I've tried to see if there is an obligation to inform the LA if your financial circumstances improve, but it isn't mentioned on anything I can see. But you are going to have to sort it out if you are going to settle your mum's estate, and your dad's position is unclear until your mum's estate is sorted.

I would say, if it was me I would take the attitude that as POA for my dad, I had a responsibility to sort his affairs out, and that can't be done until any debt owed by your mum's estate is paid, so it would be my responsibility to chase it up and try to make sure the situation is resolved as quickly as possible.
I don't know who could have completed the assessment,neither of my parents had capacity by the time they moved and there is only my brother and myself.As stated in previous post I will be putting a notice in the paper re Mum's estate.All beneficiaries are charities do no great rush to settle

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Did your mum & dad own their house as tenants in common or joint tenants (or was it in one of their sole names)? And the only beneficiaries in her will were charities, not children or her husband? There were no joint accounts or other joint savings/investments?

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
From what I've heard, if all the beneficiaries are charities, you will be harassed until the estate is settled.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Also as Executor, is it not beholden upon you to act expeditiously?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point