financial assessment

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Did your mum & dad own their house as tenants in common or joint tenants (or was it in one of their sole names)? And the only beneficiaries in her will were charities, not children or her husband? There were no joint accounts or other joint savings/investments?

The house was owned as tenants in common.There was a joint bank account which has been transferred in to an account solely in my father's name.My parents had 5 children, one son severely disabled since birth,another took his own life,sister died of cancer.None of the surviving children/grandchildren need the money hence bequests to charities.BTW we are not talking hundreds of thousands of pounds.Debts will be paid.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Also as Executor, is it not beholden upon you to act expeditiously?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Actually no,there is no time limit for probate.Forms going to court on Monday,await date to sign oath,notice in paper.End of November,Mum died end of September,just a shade over a month ago.A lot more timeous than any action from social services when she was alive

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
From what I've heard, if all the beneficiaries are charities, you will be harassed until the estate is settled.

They can harass away,it will be done in my time.Notice in paper next week,pretty sure that will prompt some action

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
If they were tenants in common at least you know that your dad is entitled to his half of the house proceeds, so that makes it easier to know where he stands. Should half of the money in the originally joint account be counted as your mum's for care home fees? I'm not sure. I hope you manage to get it all sorted it out OK in the end.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
If they were tenants in common at least you know that your dad is entitled to his half of the house proceeds, so that makes it easier to know where he stands. Should half of the money in the originally joint account be counted as your mum's for care home fees? I'm not sure. I hope you manage to get it all sorted it out OK in the end.
Dad's half has been released into his account.My mum's half of the money in joint current account was released to pay for the funeral.I am strangely angry since my mother's death,we had so many battles and my parent's were let down so many times.I think this is why I really can't be bothered to instigate anything.