Financial Assessment

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Hi all:

Query re: financial assessment. Have just returned from carer's assessment and the feeling is that I should start looking at moving OH towards care - before we hit total crisis when I can't cope. Day care first-then respite-then permanent eventually. Said there needs to be a financial assessment-but we will be self funding for at least two years, possibly three. So-do I agree to that? Little unsure if it may be a double edged sword; I know they said I would get advice as to whether there is any other help I could claim...but I just twitch and don't trust anyone when it comes to money!:rolleyes:

If it's normal practice -fine!
Thanks

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Capital runs down very quickly when care home fees are concerned so it's not unusual to have a financial assessment early on but you could wait until it reduces to a few thousand above the upper threshold. Be aware though that if fees are high in your part of the country as they are here, then there is a limit to how much the LA will contribute towards fees, so choose a home which will accept LA rates when the time comes.

AA continues to be paid when self-funding but stops when the LA are involved.
I found the LA financial assessor very helpful both well before my husband reached the upper threshold and when he did so.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi all:

Query re: financial assessment. Have just returned from carer's assessment and the feeling is that I should start looking at moving OH towards care - before we hit total crisis when I can't cope. Day care first-then respite-then permanent eventually. Said there needs to be a financial assessment-but we will be self funding for at least two years, possibly three. So-do I agree to that? Little unsure if it may be a double edged sword; I know they said I would get advice as to whether there is any other help I could claim...but I just twitch and don't trust anyone when it comes to money!:rolleyes:

If it's normal practice -fine!
Thanks

I'm getting my assessment started next Wednesday, sah. I'll post my results on my own thread, but if you want to PM me, I can tell you my results when I get them, if it helps.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Thank you both - makes me feel a little less shaky. I feel awful anyway to be considering this next step but know it make sense to start small steps now as OH is dipping so quickly. Don't need any nasty surprises!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thank you both - makes me feel a little less shaky. I feel awful anyway to be considering this next step but know it make sense to start small steps now as OH is dipping so quickly. Don't need any nasty surprises!

Not like we had, anyway. Took three crises before anyone "noticed" my hubby was actually ill. Ticks me off that it often takes years and great risks before hands reach out to help. But at least, they did, last time hubby went to hospital. After he broke his hip and they mended it @ the hospital, questions were asked, and I got them to document everything they were seeing so that if required, I could use that documentation to grab some help in. Didn't need to in the end as two fantastic SW's took our care over and carried us. I must write up that review tonight that I owe them. They were excellent.

Don't know why you should feel awful, sah. You're only trying to do the best you can in an already harrowing situation. If I can help, I'll be only too glad.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Thank you. I know that one day we would come to this -but I've looked after him 7 plus years now with no help-and have recently resigned from my job as I just couldn't function at work any more. ( Teacher -38 years full time-not happy!) I think that was the fact that made them realise how tough things were becoming. I will be working one day a week next year so the door is still open -I hope- as my income will drop to a quarter of what it is now!
But it is still awful to contemplate this next step. Even though my friends and children are pleased that I've finally begun to look at it. Pooh.:mad:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thank you. I know that one day we would come to this -but I've looked after him 7 plus years now with no help-and have recently resigned from my job as I just couldn't function at work any more. ( Teacher -38 years full time-not happy!) I think that was the fact that made them realise how tough things were becoming. I will be working one day a week next year so the door is still open -I hope- as my income will drop to a quarter of what it is now!
But it is still awful to contemplate this next step. Even though my friends and children are pleased that I've finally begun to look at it. Pooh.:mad:

6.5 years for me, and not for the want of asking, either. We'll make it, sah. I'm so jealous. You, a teacher. What a wonderful thing to be able to teach others. If I had half your intelligence, I'd be happy, xxxx

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
It is wonderful-even though the govt. are doing their best to wreck it. Love my job-am not sure how Ill feel about not doing it....but needs must etc!
And I certainly don't feel intelligent-my brain has become mush over the last six months......:D

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
It is wonderful-even though the govt. are doing their best to wreck it. Love my job-am not sure how Ill feel about not doing it....but needs must etc!
And I certainly don't feel intelligent-my brain has become mush over the last six months......:D

Kinda does that to ya! I know what I felt like for all that time; especially when things went very, very downhill. You ought to keep your options open to taking up another position if your loved one does go into care. Life doesn't just stop, sah. Wish you all the very best, whatever happens. Now I know you're a teacher, I dread typos, hahahahahahahahaha!!! :D

Well, ya might tell me orft ;)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi, I've just read the posts on this thread, and first of all, it's good that you're being proactive. I too was a teacher and my mantra was always "Failure to prepare, is to prepare for failure".

I don't know how much you know about care costs, but it is only your husband's savings that are taken into account - not yours. I cared for my late husband for 12 years, and during the last few years he attended Day Centres, then had a month's respite about a year ago, and spent his final months as a permanent resident in a Care Home.

I waded through the 100 plus pages of the rules that govern costs, and nearly ate my own eyeballs in frustration through dealing with my LA's Finance Department, not to mention Social Services. But - nil desperandum!

If you want to PM me, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that I can. :)

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Hi, I've just read the posts on this thread, and first of all, it's good that you're being proactive. I too was a teacher and my mantra was always "Failure to prepare, is to prepare for failure".

I don't know how much you know about care costs, but it is only your husband's savings that are taken into account - not yours. I cared for my late husband for 12 years, and during the last few years he attended Day Centres, then had a month's respite about a year ago, and spent his final months as a permanent resident in a Care Home.

I waded through the 100 plus pages of the rules that govern costs, and nearly ate my own eyeballs in frustration through dealing with my LA's Finance Department, not to mention Social Services. But - nil desperandum!

If you want to PM me, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that I can. :)

Thanks! Will see how it goes....but may well be picking various brains soon. First step is to find day centres around here. Was hoping on of the homes would offer day care-so he gets used to a place-but no go so far!