Financial Assessment

LovingDaughter

Feb 21, 2007
Reading
Hi

I am new to the site although not new to AD / VD. Mum was diagnosed 6 years ago so we have been living with the disease for some time now. Before I start, I would just like to say that this is a great forum and it is nice to be able to go somewhere where others know and understand what you are going through.

Dad had been the main carer but after 6 years mum has recently gone into a NH. It all happened quite quickly after Dad had to go into hospital for a double hernia operation and was unable to take care for her during this time. Her condition had deteriorated quite dramatically over the past 6 months - I believe mainly due to poor medication prescibing (but that is another story). We were lucky to find a good NH not far from Dad so we are able to get in there 3 - 4 times a week (and to be honest the quality of time spent with her is better then it was at home). We can go back to being the loving family rather than dealing with the day to day practical activities which at times proved to be very stressful and sometimes dangerous for my 81 year old father.

My question relates to the financial assessment that I feel should have taken place before she went into the NH. My parents are fortunate enough to be able to pay for mum and have choices in her care probably for the next two years without having to ask for social services contribution. However it was my understanding and this was confirmed it yesterday's Daily Mail, that regardless of whether or not you needed financial assistance - social services should still have come in and done a financial assessment on my mum. If this is not done at the beginning it could prove to be problematic when the time comes that the money has run out. I questioned this with the social worker just before mum went into the home and she said that it was not needed until we came close to the low savings threshold and at that time I should contact them for the assessment. I am not sure that this is right and has more to do with the fact that we unfortunately had a very lazy and incompetent social worker handling our case. Can anybody give any advise on the situation either through experience or knowledge of what is required?

Many thanks

LovingDaughter

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
My mum has been in residential care for 2 years now and is self funded - or rather she is on a deferred funding scheme as her house has not been sold. I am pretty sure that a financial assessment was done prior to her going into care. I am not sure whether it makes a difference whether this is done in the beginning or not, but can see that you would want to investigate further in case of any trouble further down the line when the money runs out.

Brenda

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Lovingdaughter, welcome to TP

I was told almost exactly the same thing as you, but I believe your assessment of the situation is correct. Also, unless my mother lives until she's 100 (she's 89 now) she will probably be self-funded all the way, so our circumstances are somewhat different. Two years seeems no time at all in the scheme of things and I would definitely be pushing, if I were you, for an assessment at this time or at any rate in the near future. Let's face it, it will probably take several months to set up a "non-urgent" assessment.

Jennifer

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan