Financial Assessment

Pop66

Feb 1, 2019
Sorry if I'm being really dim but I know someone out there can give me sound advise.We have recently had a needs assessment for my husband and day care plus some home care visits have been agreed, this goes to Panel next week for approval by SS. My husband receives State Pension and I still work full time. The needs assessment has kick started the financial aseessment - hubbie is well below the savings threshold so funding will need to be agreed. I fully expect that he will contribute to the costs. The financial assessment form I've been given does not seem to ask about our regular monthly outgoings such as water rates, food expenses,telephone, heating, etc... Its only interested in our mortgage payments (which we have finished paying) and council tax. His pension is similar to my monthly salary so we split the whole monthly expenses between us. Are these expenses taken into account in the assessment?? Or do we just wait for the final assessment figure and then try and cope between us with whatever 'allowance' they are leaving him with? This is worrying me so I would be grateful for your advise.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
When calculating the financial assessment the local authority have to leave people with enough money to live on and this is called the 'Minimum Income Guarantee'. The amount varies depending if the person is single, part of a couple, how old they are etc. Basically when you get sent the details of your husband's financial assessment it should show how much income he has left to live on. Details are here, but make sure that he is also claiming all the benefits that he is entitled to such as Attendance Allowance etc:

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._charging_for_care_and_support_-_LAC_2019.pdf

Pop66

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks for your reply, Louise7, and the link, which was really helpful. We will wait for the final figure and plan from there..... Although it feels as though things will become quite tight for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman