financial assessment how far do they go back?

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
we got asked to send bank statements for 3 months for mum but that was just when applying for respite ... I would expect more details needed if applying for permanent help, care home etc due to 'deprivation of assets' issues.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
we got asked to send bank statements for 3 months for mum but that was just when applying for respite ... I would expect more details needed if applying for permanent help, care home etc due to 'deprivation of assets' issues.

Seem to think it was a couple of years for mum. I expect every la is different

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It seems to vary depending on the local authority, I had to supply a year for my mother, however, a friend in another authority was asked for 6 years but he believes (No idea if he's right or not) that the obvious wealth of his mother's large house and its contents wasn't consistent with the fact she was getting by on very little income and the savings had gone although my friend and his sister had been helping her out financially for years. I guess if they see someone who has obviously has been well off they would wonder where it went and had it been deliberately been disposed of or stashed away somewhere.
I had a quick look around and Merton council's on-line form asks you to list any gifts over £500 made in the last 7 years!
If you only had to supply 3 months as leswi did then it would be pretty easy to fiddle.
It'll be interesting to see what the answer is, someone on here is bound to know.
K

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Just wondering how far social services go back when assessing finances .
They can go as far back as they like. There is no limit.

Obviously the further back they go the more work it entails so I would imagine they would only do it in exceptional circumstances.

For my Mom it was 12 months of bank statements.