Financial advise please

Loulou

Jul 22, 2005
Can anybody advise of what might be available to somebody who is in full time employment (difficult) and looks like they will lose their job - to become a full time carer ?
As you've probably guessed - this relates to me BUT I have no idea where to go to find out.
My mum lives with me and her name is on the deeds of the house - does anybody know if any financial assistance is available - my sister currently claims Carers allowance as she gave up her day job to cover me when I was at work and I get Attendance allowance - used to make my mum as comfortable as possible. Social Services also contribute towards the mortgage interest on behalf of my mum (joint mortgage although she doesn't pay towards it obviously).
Can anybody advise if assistance would be given towards the mortgage / utilities etc ? or if any other form of assistance would be provided.
To be honest, losing my job might be the best thing to happen as I really don't know how much longer I can cope with no sleep and then doing a full days work - I also feel that I would like to spend as much time with my mum as possible.
Thanks

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello Loulou

Sorry to hear that you're having to consider giving up your job. I don't know a lot about entitlements, but I found the local Welfare Rights service an invaluable source of information. I was put on to them via mum's social worker and they have links to the local authority. We had a home visit and the very nice man ! went through mum's outgoings/incomings etc, calculated what she needed to pay for her care etc. And told me about AA and pension credit. Our situation is different from yours in that mum isn't a home owner and lives alone; however, it must be worth a try as a starting point.

Also try CAB or check on the AD site for information or ring their helpline. I'm sure others will put their tuppence ha'penny in as well.

Good luck with it all. It can seem like a minefield, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful the people I've come into contact have been.

Best wishes.

Helena

May 24, 2006
from what i understand of the benefit system Carers benefits are pitiful and would be subsistance living at best

I may be wrong but I think anyone or their carers coping with Dementia type illnesses are treated disgustingly in the UK