Financial abuse

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hello .... I need any advice I can get deal with a suspected case of financial abuse.
Please help.

Regards CAULICOLE

Can you give us a few more details please? It's impossible to give advice on the above alone. Who is being allegedly abused by whom and how (no names but what relation are they to you or each other) and does anyone have power of attorney?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hello .... I need any advice I can get deal with a suspected case of financial abuse.
Please help.

Regards CAULICOLE

Hi CAULICOLE,

Welcome to the forum.:)

Are you able to supply any more information? Please be careful not to include anything that makes anyone identifiable.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi caulicole, a warm welcome here to Talking Point, this is a supportive,safe and understanding place to be, you sound upset,so hoping someone here will be able to help,so if possible could you please give us a brief outline of this upsetting problem?
take care
Chris

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Actually, I'm not sure I would encourage you to share details on the forum. The fact of the matter is, no matter what the details you only have a few options. If there is an EPA/LPA you can contact the Office of the Public Guardian https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian. You can call the Action on Elder Abuse hotline http://www.elderabuse.org.uk/. You can call the police. Finally, you could call the AS helpline https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200365 to get a handle on your possible options.

This is always presupposing you are in the UK of course.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Sorry you are having problems. Sadly there is not enough protection for the vulnerable as the police rarely want to know, let alone prosecute, in my experience. My Mum was seriously financially abused by both my sister and also Mums late partners son. Despite my having all the proof in the form of bank statements and various purchases including a £19,000 car and a psychiatrist report saying Mum has no capacity to agree to these transactions, which I thought would go in our favour, months down the line no arrests have been.made or anything. The police dont care and do not safeguard the vulnerable in my opinion. Its heartbreaking and such a heinous crime.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
The
Please help.

Regards CAULICOLE

My mother was financially abused by my sister £25000over 3 years. Amounts got bigger and intervals got smaller. Sister lived with mum and intercepted mail eg bank statements. Got mum aged 84 tomget double glazing . Think she must of got mum to repeatedly pay bill.
Mum would let her use bank card to go shopping , pay bills etc.
I contacted police who referred me to vulnerable adult team, took 3 weeks to interview mum, £700 taken under my nose.
Wanted to put mum in care home while they investigated, mum said she should be in care not me. Mum ended up staying in my back room and still is 6 yrs later.
Sister never admitted theft, said had special relationship with mum, who likes to treat her ... Hols in barbados, numerous other places ,leather jkts, cashmere and designer clothes . Sister life was cocktails, champagne, gambling, £100 -200 per bet.
SW said money has been spent, wont get it back, not worth prosecuting as sisters defence will wipe floor with mum having memory impairment . Mum was so ashamed and blamed self for being too soft with daughter.
I have since contacted my local police station and they were interested but mum has to initiate contact.
I dont know if it would have been different if mum was in advanced dementia when sister was investigated. Surely dementia cant be a licence to steal from.
I have mentioned it to some people at carers centre and sadly it is v common, maybe not as much as what sister took but it happens alot and people are too ashamed . Just remembered mum said peoplecwill laugh at me and think im thick.
If you dont have any conscience , take a chance and steal, chances are you will,get away with it.

Last edited: