Finances

SharonLyons

Dec 10, 2006
Ilford, Essex
My mum will soon be going into a NH. As she doesn't own her own home or have any savings, the whole thing will have to be funded. I have to fill in a financial assessment form for her. I understand, of course, that her pension and other allowances will all go towards the NH fees but who will pay the life insurance policy that she has going and also her credit card that we have used sometimes to buy her such items as new fridge, tv etc.?
Sharon x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sharon.

Is there space for detailing your mother`s commitments on the financial assessment form? If not, I suggest you ask her social worker.

Love xx

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Sharon,

I am in the same situation as you with my Dad. He has been in a NH for two weeks and is funded by SS. No-one has contacted us at all about an assessment and I asked the pension service if I could become his appointee...they said I would hear within 10 to 14 days but nothing yet.

Sorry I can't answer your question but just wanted to let you know that these things seem to take a long time to get sorted.

Good luck

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sharon,

I think that may be good question for the alzheimer's helpline - 0845 300 0336 - your mother may get a small allowance but they assess this on an individual bases. As Sylvia says the important thing is to get all the details of outgoings on the assessment form.

Kind Regards
Craig

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've just had a quick scan through CRAG (charging for residential accommodation guidelines) and interestingly, I can't find this situation mentioned at all. I can only assume that that is because the DH and local authorities reconise that they cannot unilaterally change someone's contractual obligations, even if they need to be placed in residential accommodation. Which is not to say that you won't have to watch them like hawks - you'll need to work out what would be a reasonable repayment schedule and really push it down their throats. Fiscally it would seem to make more sense to pay off any interest incurring debts ASAP but who knows how their minds are going to work. Just make sure you make them aware of all outstanding debts and don't be guilted into taking over responsibility for any of them.