Finance and Benefits Assessment before Care Needs Assessed

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
my husband has had Alzheimer’s for 5 years. A year ago I requested a Care Needs Assessment for him. I was told a FABs Assessment was arranged for 2 days later and to have all bank statements etc ready. I was told we weren’t eligible for any help but if needed I would only be asked up to a maximum of £102.50. Our GP advised day care for him mainly to give me a break. He goes 2 and a half days a week which costs £115. I contacted Adult Social Services who told me they wouldn’t pay the £12.50 a week difference as I had arranged the day centre myself. Fast forward a year and now he has severely declined. I have been advised to ask for a Care Needs Assessment as we were never given one. I telephoned last week. Yesterday I received a letter saying an appointment has been made for another Financial Assessment. This time they want to look at my finances. Although I only receive not quite the full State Pension due to not paying a full National Insurance stamp when working. They say there is a long waiting list for a Care Needs Assessment for him. My question is whether they should be looking at our finances before offering any care needs? And is 2 in a year usual? Thanks