Finally have a diagnosis!

Ab96

Apr 2, 2015
So after a 8 week wait for a memory clinic appointment, plus the 4 weeks of tests my grandads doctor ran, we finally have a diagnosis of vascular dementia.

Nan and grandad have decided to go to a weekly support group which I'm really happy about because I'm hoping that will give grandad someone to relate to and nan someone to talk to - she has me and my siblings & her two sons but I suppose no one knows what it's like for your husband of 55 years to be diagnosed with dementia unless it's happening to you yourself.

Grandad is happy he's got a name for what's happening with him - he just thought he was 'going stupid'

No doubt we have a long and hard journey ahead. But it's nice to finally know where we are heading.

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad your grandad has a diagnosis. I'm also glad your grandparents have you looking out for them. It sounds as if they have a very positive attitude. It's good that you will have the support of this forum so that you can in turn support them.

Take care.

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
My husband of 56yrs also has vascular dementia and fortunately keeps happy,and is still mobile and able to do most things for himself (with a little help) He isn't interested in social groups,but enjoys the company of friends and family. Your grandparents are fortunate having such an obviously caring grandchild. Our 5 young adult grandchildren have been very supportive and fun during the last 4/5years. -it's such a life changing illness and I'm sure your family will find this forum helpful.

Ab96

Apr 2, 2015
Thank you both, got to be about making the most of a bad situation, most important thing is that they are both happy! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo