1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Finally got a diagnosis

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by banger696, Nov 10, 2015.

1. banger696

banger696 Registered User

Sep 17, 2015
    North East
    Been waiting for about 6 weeks but psychiatrist has seen mums CT scan and given us a diagnosis of Alzheimer. He also doesn't want to write another prescription for amisulpride and being vague about the GP writing the next prescription. I only have 2 weeks of amisulpride left and has kept mum calm over the last 5 weeks.

No wonder people can't get help as the doctors don't seem to care have had to contact PALS again.

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    At least you now have a diagnosis :)
    Would your GP not give your mum a repeat prescription for amisulpride?

3. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    he's probably being vague about the GP because he is ignorant!!! Some of these people live on their own planet. I agree I would go to the GP now and ask for another prescription - at least you will then know where you stand (or put in for a repeat and see what happens). What a dreadful situation to find yourself in, feel your frustration and thinking of you x

4. banger696

Sep 17, 2015
    North East
    Last time I asked for a repeat they said it was an amber drug a care and share type drug and a fax from the hospital was not enough at the GP. Im hoping I dont have the same trouble this time as its a small dose but really keeps mum stable.

PS I have a really bad chest cold which is all I need as mum has got it now.

5. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    If not going to give you a repeat prescription, is consultant recommending any other medication?

6. banger696

Sep 17, 2015
    North East
    He has prescribed memantine and said GP would continue amisulpride.