Finally cracked and went to Private Doc??????

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Hi guys,

Last night I had to call an ambulance as I had NO FEELING in my back VERY scary. I was given a muscle relaxant so IM FINE!!!!!:eek:

Anywhoo! made apt and brought mum to private geriatrician(PAID BEHIND HER BACK!):eek::eek:

he didnt speak to me one to one called my mum in and then me with her? he was very concerned about her bloods and said this could cause (shes diabetic) confusion BUT he is setting up a brain scan? he said she may have MCI(mild cognitive I???)

ANY OFFERS??????????? now i understand that he is not going to say dementia outright have googled this MCI and im sorry not convinced NOW he was lovely very good and spent over an hour and half:eek:

I did not get to say my piece though and tell him re hygiene and manic behaviour moods etc....

Should I call him and tell him or leave it????? I understand that they would want to make sure her low bloods are not causing confusion BUT this does not explain the rest of the mad things she is doing??

Over to yee the experts!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I would suggest you write out a document about the issues with your Mum (if possible in a factual not emotive way which I realise isn't easy) and send it to his secretary with a polite request that it is brought to his attention as, due to the complexity of your mothers needs, you were unable to cover all the issues in the one visit. By all means end your document with the comments regarding how the problems affect both you and your mother.

Then ask for email confirmation that the information has been seen by him and will be taken into consideration when he is taking a holistic overview of the issues your Mum is presenting with.

Sorry if that seems a bit prescribed and formal but that is what gets results.

Good luck

xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree with Celia. I think setting down things as she suggested is a very good idea. I tend to do that prior to any routine appointments Bill has which are related to his Alzheimer's. I find that in this way I leave nothing out and I don't get all emotional trying to paint an accurate picture.

Good luck.

Was he married????

greywhy

Jul 23, 2013
Hi

Whilst I am in no way medically trained, have they tested your mum to rule out a bladder infection as this can cause some horrible symptoms as well?

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Thanks will do that! Also my mum has been tested for all types of infection and clear!

I think he is being professional and just wants to see what scan shows but we are moving fast and SOMEONE is listening(apart from this site of course) that to me is huge as my family dont believe me and i really need to be sure.

This horrible illness has not been lately shes been acting strange for years but now things are escalating we thought depression doc said depression?? but now finally after me jumping up and down for 2yrs we are getting there worth every penny!!!

Also MCI can lead to dementia?? I can understand forgetting your keys pin number the odd time but her behaviour is just not normal.

Oh and her memory tests were 29/30 which he says is good, to me it means NOTHING! I dont know what day it is so am I NUTS????????????????:eek:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Mild Cognitive Impairment

You might find it helpful to look at this Alzheimer's Society factsheet: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=120

MCI seems to be a catch-all 'diagnosis', really just observing that things are not quite right but not identifying the cause without further investigation (which the doctor is pursuing). I agree with other posters that some written input from you would assist him greatly. He isn't observing the strange behaviour at home, he is only dealing with the person in front of him and how she responds at the time. He needs your more detailed input and observations to narrow things down to possible diseases or mental health conditions.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Whilst I am in no way medically trained, have they tested your mum to rule out a bladder infection as this can cause some horrible symptoms as well?
I don't think they affect people without dementia anything like as badly as those with it - not mentally anyway.
Just as as any infection seems to heighten the dementia but doesn't make us behave oddly.
Well, not that I've noticed personally to date anyway but I stand prepared to be corrected!

Incidentally Nerak, my husband scored highly on the test for ages but was still diagnosed with dementia so they aren't foolproof. Any person without dementia can score lower than 29 - the consultant psychiatrist said that level of education and profession can affect scores a lot. My husband could also remember his PIN but couldn't recall the word he wanted at any given time. It depends which section of the brain is affected at the time.

I hope you do receive some definitive diagnosis after arranging this private appointment as it must have cost a lot. I agree with the other posters to send as much information as you can so as to reap the greatest benefit as a lot of diagnoses are from what is not found rather than what it so. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I don't think they affect people without dementia anything like as badly as those with it - not mentally anyway.
Just as as any infection seems to heighten the dementia but doesn't make us behave oddly.
Well, not that I've noticed personally to date anyway but I stand prepared to be corrected!

I have experience of his one Saffie, when mum gets water infections, prior to the dementia, they were bad enough to have her hallucinating and hospitalised. A water infection in the elderly can be serious and affect their thinking.

We had to go through a barrage of tests before they would diagnose dementia, they tested water, for infections, her sight, her hearing and probably more that I can't remember right now.

The first doctor who saw mum would not diagnose dementia because it was the first time he had met her and wanted to monitor her over a period of time. He mentioned dementia so she wouldn't see him again, she finally agreed to seeing a memory doctor again this year. A diagnosis of dementia in my experience anyway isn't something they do immediately and not until they have ruled out other causes.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have experience of his one Saffie, when mum gets water infections, prior to the dementia, they were bad enough to have her hallucinating and hospitalised. A water infection in the elderly can be serious and affect their thinking.
O right. I stand corrected then. It's just that I get cystitis and am pretty elderly myself but although the pain is excrutiating, I don't think it affects me mentally!
I had assumed that the infections the dementia sufferers were getting that affected them so badly although seemingly not painful, were not simple bladder infections as suggested in the post by Garnuft, but of a more severe variety. I know my husband had a number when he was in the hospital but has had none during the 2 years he has been in the nursing home

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Lol, perhaps they do affect you Saffie.....I haven't said a word about bladder infections......:)

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
O right. I stand corrected then. It's just that I get cystitis and am pretty elderly myself but although the pain is excrutiating, I don't think it affects me mentally!
I had assumed that the infections the dementia sufferers were getting that affected them so badly although seemingly not painful, were not simple bladder infections as suggested in the post by Garnuft, but of a more severe variety. I know my husband had a number when he was in the hospital but has had none during the 2 years he has been in the nursing home

They don't have to effect your behaviour Saffie but they can effect your behaviour if that makes sense. It's not unusual for water infections in the elderly to cause severe confusion and end up hospitalised like mum was. It's only as Mum has been hospitalised a number of times with it over the last ten years both pre and post dementia diagnosis that I know this one.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Lol, perhaps they do affect you Saffie.....I haven't said a word about bladder infections......
OMG - and I don't even have one!!!:eek:
(Well, I didn't think so!)
I'm so sorry Gwen, I must have just seen g of 'grewwhy' and assumed the rest!
In mitigation, I have been awake most of the night - and I still haven't got my woozy eye fixed!
Yes - I know - no excuse!
Humble apologies.:eek:

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Thanks guys!

I dont really think that I have to get too into MCI my mum has dementia and just asking things on this site has confirmed to me what I feared for a long time.

My Dear bro(feel so bad for stressing him as hes started a new job this week!!) is now going to write to the invisables and tell them its time to wake up now and help out we need to be on the same page with this and help and support in any way.

Thankgod I have him as cant cope with them. My sister wants POA???? has no idea what it entails?? Is living abroad?? And thinks im sstressing mum out:mad::mad::mad:

the dishy doc told my mother in a very strong voice "your family may be abroad BUT they CAN HELP OUT FINANCIALLY AND EMOTIONALLY YOU ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A LOVING CARING DAUGHTER WHO HAS NOTHING BUT YOUR BEST NEEDS AT HEART AND SHE JUST WANTS WHATS BEST FOR YOU"

I love him!!!!!!!!!:p did I mention he was dishy and what a brain!! Droooooooooooool:)

The

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks guys!

I dont really think that I have to get too into MCI my mum has dementia and just asking things on this site has confirmed to me what I feared for a long time.

My Dear bro(feel so bad for stressing him as hes started a new job this week!!) is now going to write to the invisables and tell them its time to wake up now and help out we need to be on the same page with this and help and support in any way.

Thankgod I have him as cant cope with them. My sister wants POA???? has no idea what it entails?? Is living abroad?? And thinks im sstressing mum out:mad::mad::mad:

the dishy doc told my mother in a very strong voice "your family may be abroad BUT they CAN HELP OUT FINANCIALLY AND EMOTIONALLY YOU ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A LOVING CARING DAUGHTER WHO HAS NOTHING BUT YOUR BEST NEEDS AT HEART AND SHE JUST WANTS WHATS BEST FOR YOU"

I love him!!!!!!!!!:p did I mention he was dishy and what a brain!! Droooooooooooool:)

The

Yes you flipping floozy you mentioned once or a hundred times he was dishy.

Hell my physiotherapist was a lookalike for George Clooney, well a older bird can dream can't she.

If he wanted to manipulate my leg he was more than welcome. Though I think the pleasure was all mine.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I forgot to say if your Mum wanted you to have POA she would have given it to her when she was well. Tell her if she wants to take over the care she can take over the finances. That's what I did to my sister.

I asked her why she wanted POA she answered she wanted to share. I said great which 3.5 days of the week do you want caring roles to share. You could hear the thud as she landed on the floor in shock.:D

Silly moo only stopped trying for it after I pointed out to her I wasn't giving it up and if she wanted to put it before a judge, she had commited fraud and the judge would likely call the police in.

The attraction went off all of a sudden.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Dishy maybe but what makes you think his brain is so wonderful?

His intelligence was attractive also hes the only one EVER in 2 yrs to believe me and get things moving hes an expert and could see straight through my mum!! The first time ive felt im not crazy!!!!!!! money well spent!! shame he only sees old people my mum was all COY and thought he was lovely(which is great as she dosnt really like anyone!!!)

May dress up as an old woman and go and see him in private!!!!!!;););)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej