Finally a diagnosis

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
6 months after mum was admitted to hospital with delirium, we finally got the diagnosis of Alzheimers today which was no great surprise. Not sure mum really took it in, she still doesn't think there is anything wrong with her and was quite vocal that there was nothing wrong with her memory (minutes after failing the memory test!)

The consultant has prescribed Donepizil, can anyone tell me is this likely to ease her confusion/anxiety or what difference is it likely to make? She is not too keen on taking more medication but we managed to persuade her to try it.

Any other tips gratefully received too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Linsac
the Donepezil may help to ease her confusion and anxiety, I believe it did help dad, he seemed more himself after starting on it ... though over time other meds were added to help with an increase in his anxiety .... but I was glad he took thr Donepezil pretty much immediately after diagnosis

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband was on Donepezil for around 10 years. He was lucky to respond to it well and no bad side effects. I’ve no real proof of this but I do think it helped to slow the progress of his Alzheimers. At the same time he was prescribed an antidepressant. I hope that your mum responds well to the medication.

Arty-girl

Jun 29, 2020
I've recently received a diagnosis for my mother. We were thinking it was vascular dementia but the memory clinic have given a diagnosis of Altzheimers. They've also sent me a prescription for Donepezil. Not wanting to actually mention Alzheimers, especially with so much recently on the tv about Barbara Windsor, I tried to explain to mom that she didn't score very well in the memory test (13 out 100 but I didn't tell her that either) I just explained that it said her memory was quite bad but that they were prescribing something to help with it. She just flat out refused to take anything. I'm going to get the prescription and hope I can persuade her to try it. But,k nowing my mom, I'm not hopeful. At least knowing that others are having similar experiences to mine helps to stop me feeling so useless. Each time something crops up it seems to totally drain me of all energy and it can take me days to pull myself together.

Sharon21

Aug 14, 2015
My tip would be to go with the flow in terms of your mum's insistence nothing is wrong. My mum was exactly the same... In the early days we thought mum was just in denial.. But she wasn't. I did find out that some people living with Alzheimers have a part of the brain affected that means they really don't know something is wrong.
I asked all professionals not to mention the words dementia or alzheimers... It saved a lot of stress for all of us. I also had some handwritten notes that I passed to people with the same info on. We told her the donepezil was another blood pressure tablet if she asked. Have a Google for Anosognosia.

BonzoCuss

Jan 16, 2021
My husband has a recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's 71 years old. On Galantamene Any opinions on how helpful this may be?

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
My husband has a recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's 71 years old. On Galantamene Any opinions on how helpful this may be?
HI there since writing this post my mum was taken off Donepezil as it did not agree with her and put on Glaantamene. She is only in the first week so too early to tell if it improves her quality of life (which currently is filled with severe anxiety). I hope your husband finds that it helps. Howl long has he been on it?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
My Mum was on donepezil really didn't agree with her very poorly she has a vascular element to the diagnosis so isn't taking anything now. Do all these medications have to go through a psychogeriatrican to be prescribed?

BonzoCuss

Jan 16, 2021
HI there since writing this post my mum was taken off Donepezil as it did not agree with her and put on Glaantamene. She is only in the first week so too early to tell if it improves her quality of life (which currently is filled with severe anxiety). I hope your husband finds that it helps. Howl long has he been on it?
4 weeks and no side effects yet but suffered night cramps with Donepezil. Fingers crossed as it will ve slowly increased over 3 months. Take care