Finally a CH visit

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Well I finally got my first visit to my Mum in 6 months. Half an hour. The home was well organised and had set up a room specially for visits. There was a large clear screen across the room and I had to wear a mask. I sat down and they wheeled Mum in. I got a great smile and waves. She said she's been waiting for a visit. She can't really hold a conversation but we laughed and giggled a lot. I'd printed out some photos on A4 paper of family and I talked about them . She especially liked the ones of her Great Grandson. She looked very well. The hairdresser had cut and permed and set her hair and her nails had been cut.
All in all a good visit. I was really worried she wouldn't recognise me but she did straight away. I usually wear the same blouse when I visit to make it easier for her.

Shame it involved 7 hours driving!

Luckily my Husband was prepared to do it . I'm not sure I could have.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Thanks Canary. I was so pleased Mum recognised me. I have seen photos and a lovely video with Mum's birthday cake on the Facebook page the home has set up and she has seen photos of us but I was so worried she'd have forgotten who I was.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's good news @Susan11 really pleased that the visit went well for you and your mum :) I'm hoping that my mum will get a haircut soon too as it's almost 6 months since it was last cut. I usually cut it myself but apparently a hairdresser might be going into the home 'soon' so fingers crossed.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
That's good news @Susan11 really pleased that the visit went well for you and your mum :) I'm hoping that my mum will get a haircut soon too as it's almost 6 months since it was last cut. I usually cut it myself but apparently a hairdresser might be going into the home 'soon' so fingers crossed.
Mum's CH are quite inventive. The hairdresser has become a member of staff so doesn't do hair for anyone outside the home so reducing the infection risk.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's the problem mum's home is having. They used to have a resident hairdresser a couple of days a week but not anymore so need to find someone who will not be cutting anybody else's hair but also doesn't mind not getting much work/pay. I'd be happy to do it myself - I've got the scissors and don't cut hair for anyone outside the home either :)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Wow a 7 hour drive is a long way for half an hour isn't it. But you must be so pleased to see your mum again, and looking so well. I hope you manage to visit again, when you feel able to face the drive.

My mother is a 15 minute drive away but I haven't seen her since 12 March. The staff tell me she's had a haircut though. The two activities ladies are on the staff and one of them usually does manicures for the ladies, and now also cuts their hair. Hopefully when I eventually see my mother (possibly later this month) we will recognise each other!

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Wow a 7 hour drive is a long way for half an hour isn't it. But you must be so pleased to see your mum again, and looking so well. I hope you manage to visit again, when you feel able to face the drive.

My mother is a 15 minute drive away but I haven't seen her since 12 March. The staff tell me she's had a haircut though. The two activities ladies are on the staff and one of them usually does manicures for the ladies, and now also cuts their hair. Hopefully when I eventually see my mother (possibly later this month) we will recognise each other!
We were going up every fortnight to see Mum. I think we'll continue to do that at least until it gets dark early. My worry was that Mum wouldn't recognise me but the carers had told her it was me and I got a big beaming smile. Then we giggled at each other for about 10 mins.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
That's marvellous sounds like your mum is being so well looked after, it must be such a weight off your mind to have seen it for yourself.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
What a lovely post to read, so glad you had a good visit, makes the very long drive worth it to see your mum looking so well for yourself. The home sounds lovely.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
What a lovely post to read, so glad you had a good visit, makes the very long drive worth it to see your mum looking so well for yourself. The home sounds lovely.
The home is lovely. They are kind and caring people. We picked it because as we walked up the drive we could hear the sound of people laughing. I thought it was a good sound for Mum to hear. We looked at over a dozen homes. Some of them just wanted to talk about money . Some said everyone was nice and quiet. We have been lucky.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
We were going up every fortnight to see Mum. I think we'll continue to do that at least until it gets dark early. My worry was that Mum wouldn't recognise me but the carers had told her it was me and I got a big beaming smile. Then we giggled at each other for about 10 mins.

That's lovely!
The care home sounds superb, you chose very well. My mother's care home is lovely too and I know they genuinely care about the residents.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
That's lovely!
The care home sounds superb, you chose very well. My mother's care home is lovely too and I know they genuinely care about the residents.
Well actually my Mum made the final decision. We brought her down to a CH near us but she was having none of it and we had to take her back. Luckily her room was still available. Definitely the right decision. Glad your Mum's home is good too.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased that you had a good visit with your Mum especially after that long drive. Lovely to hear that your Mum recognised you and that you had some smiles and laughter.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
So pleased that you had a good visit with your Mum especially after that long drive. Lovely to hear that your Mum recognised you and that you had some smiles and laughter.
Thanks Bikerbeth. Such difficult times.