Final Stages

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
This is heartbreaking, the doctors visited mum at home two weeks ago, she had really loose bowel movement for ten days, he told us we were nearing the end, possibly two weeks, we are onto the third week now, she hasn’t had any loose stools for a whole week and now they want to give her something to make her go, she hasn’t eaten for two weeks, just liquid and a few sips of ensure, she is bed bound and wasting away in front of me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s painful to experience @Muggers especially when you know there is nothing you can do.

Does your mum know you are with her? I hope so. It will give you some comfort know she is aware of your presence

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
Thank you, I would say sometimes there is a glimmer that makes me think she knows I’m there, sometimes I feel she thinks I’m one of the carers and not her daughter, we were always so close, my best friend, this is just cruel, I miss my mum.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Muggers.
I kept having issues as you describe, recently I'd moved over to buying low calorie soft drinks as well as a couple of other diet changes for the better I hoped. In the end I've decided that it one of the artificial sweeteners that must be the cause.
I assume you that as you say at home you mean her home, however, even if she's in a care home has anything in her diet changed.
The human body is just a big chemistry set, I don't know how many lives anti-biotics have saved but one of them nearly killed one of my children, he had an extreme allergy reaction.
I would look in to the diet and medications see if anything has changed or been reformulated.
Good luck K

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
Hello and welcome Muggers.
I kept having issues as you describe, recently I'd moved over to buying low calorie soft drinks as well as a couple of other diet changes for the better I hoped. In the end I've decided that it one of the artificial sweeteners that must be the cause.
I assume you that as you say at home you mean her home, however, even if she's in a care home has anything in her diet changed.
The human body is just a big chemistry set, I don't know how many lives anti-biotics have saved but one of them nearly killed one of my children, he had an extreme allergy reaction.
I would look in to the diet and medications see if anything has changed or been reformulated.
Good luck K
My mum is cared for at home, we have carers and Trinity home care service, she only has liquid paracetamol, as for diet she hasn’t eaten anything for days.