Final stage of Alzheimer's

spurs50

Nov 11, 2012
Has anyone else caring for someone in the latter stages in their own home? My mum is 95 and has carers in up to four times a day. It is too late for her to go in a home as she is very settled in her own home. It is a lot of work but I feel it is worth it. She has to be hoisted, so there is no chance of wandering and she rarely speaks. But I still get smiles most of the time when I see her.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are many who have cared for family members right till the end. It really is a matter of personal ability and a lot depends on the demands made on us.

I wish I could have done this but even though my husband went into residential care in the later stages it all turned out for the best.

I hope you manage to do what's best for you and your mother

Pacucho

Hello,

Yes I cared for my late mum at home until she passed away. The one place Mum was really settled, towards the end of her life, was her own bedroom. She did not want to go anywhere else in the house or even outside.

Although her mobility was severely restricted she did not need the hoist, as we could transfer her from bed to chair to commode, etc. But I could not have a conversation with her as she would rarely speak, and also her ability to eat and drink was somewhat compromised.

If you need any advice feel free to send me a personal message, and I would be happy to provide further advice where possible.
Regards,

Paco

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan