Final stage end of life

ChrisBat1960

Oct 16, 2021
Mum has battled with dementia for 10 years she stopped eating many weeks ago she has not had any fluids for 11 days and is end of life. We are caring for her at home and now getting worried she is rattling and seems really uncomfortable does anyone have any ideas on what can help?

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Has the GP prescribed a 'just in case box' of drugs? These are to alleviate the discomfort you are seeing.
If not I would suggest you contact them ASAP.

karenbow

May 24, 2021
Mum has battled with dementia for 10 years she stopped eating many weeks ago she has not had any fluids for 11 days and is end of life. We are caring for her at home and now getting worried she is rattling and seems really uncomfortable does anyone have any ideas on what can help?
dear chrisbat reading your thread i really understand your concerns as your mum is at home with you which is wonderful but you do need help as per advice given in other reply- my mum was end of life and sadly passed away on wednesday in her nursing home- i experienced all what you are going through as i was there most of the time- my mum was rattling but within a few minutes of being given an injection- i believe it was buscopan mums symptoms really improved- it is a really difficult time and my thought are with you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to hear your news @karenbow I hope it is some consolation for you to know your mum is at peace now.

Hello @ChrisBat1960 You are doing something wonderful, caring for your mother at home. Not many people are able to achieve this.
If she is uncomfortable please ask for medication to help make her more comfortable.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Can anyone explain rattling? My mother is now receiving end of life care in her care home and the GP has prescribed a just-in-case end of life set of medication. It is really hard to guess at how long she may have. She is still drinking a little but refusing food. GP and care home staff agree that it is end of life care now. But rattling was mentioned to me and I did not really understand what it meant or what the significance was. The end will come as a blessing as her quality of life is nil, and I know I will cope with it, being a practical sort and not an emotional sort. Trying to comfort my father will be the difficult thing. What's stressful to me is not knowing what's going to happen when, my life is usually planned and busy and getting torm between things I must do in one place and things I must do 120 miles away is difficult.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it is to do with fluid collecting in the lungs and lack of activity or movement makes the person in a very weak state unable to clear it.
The rattle is caused by breathing into the fluid.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
At End of Life you get various physical changes and one of them is fluid collecting in the lungs so that as they breath the lungs "rattle". One of the drugs in the JIC box is something (I cant remember the name) to dry up secretions. It does also dry up the skin, however, so one of the things I did when mum was dying was put moisturiser om her skin. I dont know if relatives are allowed to do that now with covid restrictions.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Can anyone explain rattling? My mother is now receiving end of life care in her care home and the GP has prescribed a just-in-case end of life set of medication. It is really hard to guess at how long she may have. She is still drinking a little but refusing food. GP and care home staff agree that it is end of life care now. But rattling was mentioned to me and I did not really understand what it meant or what the significance was. The end will come as a blessing as her quality of life is nil, and I know I will cope with it, being a practical sort and not an emotional sort. Trying to comfort my father will be the difficult thing. What's stressful to me is not knowing what's going to happen when, my life is usually planned and busy and getting torm between things I must do in one place and things I must do 120 miles away is difficult.
Have you seen this @MartinWL?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I
I think this is called Cheyne-Stokes breathing. I'm not sure, but @canary may be thinking of atropine, to reduce secretions. Morphine injections will also slow breathing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Cheyne Stokes breathing is where you get gaps between breaths. Mum had such long gaps between breaths at the end that a few times I became sure she had passed, only for her to take another breath.....

Yes you are right @lollyc - its atropine that stops the secretions

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
@MartinWL I think this used to be called the Death Rattle, something that care home workers would be familiar with.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knola28