final goodbye

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Yesterday I buried Phil, and now I am lost, I have no idea what I do next.

It was a lovely service, I managed to read a short poem, but the eulogy was too much for me, I am in awe of those of you who managed to stay so strong. My daughter wrote both the eulogy and a a poem to be read out, the poem is so good I am including it, I am so very proud of her, both of my children have been such strong support for me when their own hearts are breaking. The eulogy was also marvellous, now everyone has gone home, they took me out for a meal last night, after an exhausting day a lovely meal, a couple of large glasses of wine I slept much better than I thought I would, the sun shone for us and is still shining now, I miss him terribly but somehow I sort of feel at peace, just lost.

Goodnight Dad

If we had just one more minute, to say what we want to say
Buts its too late for all of that, you've had to go away

If we had just one more minute, or two or three or four
We'd tell you all those wonderful things we know we've said before

If we had just one more minute to take you by the hand
We'd lead you somewhere wonderful, super, grand

If we had just one more minute and you were in no pain
We would take you singing and dancing in the pouring rain

If we had just one more minute to sing and dance and play
We would do all these things with you any time night or day

If we had just one more minute, oh we wish you hadn't gone
We need you here, we want you here, but God has called you home

If we had just one more minute to hold you in our arms so tight
But now those minutes are gone and we have to say goodnight

My best wishes, love and hugs to all on TP and my thanks for all the help and support, and lovely messages posted for me. Sandra xxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sandra, how moving.

Thinking of you and wishing you and your family strength for the days and weeks to come. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The poem is poignant Sandra very moving.

However, believing you feel peaceful even though you feel lost is so valuable. I know just how you feel, the peace is in me although the emptiness is still there.

You are fortunate in your family, a credit to both of you, so take comfort from them and share your grief.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Mabbs,

It sounds as though Phil had a goodbye to be proud of. I'm glad that you feel peaceful and you must be so thankful that you have such caring children. Try to take things slowly; cry, laugh at your good memories, and know that we are all thinking of you.

Your Daughter's poem was so beautiful it moved me to tears

Much love

Lyn T XX

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
the poem your daughter wrote said every thing we all think, some of us still have our partner [in the flesh] but not always in the mind, to all of us even if we still have a partner those few minutes to hold them take them out and simply love them are so wonderful just for a while, so we go home cry and cry some more but we get through and start another day.

Rivershores

Jun 10, 2015
Yesterday I buried Phil, and now I am lost, I have no idea what I do next.

It was a lovely service, I managed to read a short poem, but the eulogy was too much for me, I am in awe of those of you who managed to stay so strong. My daughter wrote both the eulogy and a a poem to be read out, the poem is so good I am including it, I am so very proud of her, both of my children have been such strong support for me when their own hearts are breaking. The eulogy was also marvellous, now everyone has gone home, they took me out for a meal last night, after an exhausting day a lovely meal, a couple of large glasses of wine I slept much better than I thought I would, the sun shone for us and is still shining now, I miss him terribly but somehow I sort of feel at peace, just lost.

Goodnight Dad

If we had just one more minute, to say what we want to say
Buts its too late for all of that, you've had to go away

If we had just one more minute, or two or three or four
We'd tell you all those wonderful things we know we've said before

If we had just one more minute to take you by the hand
We'd lead you somewhere wonderful, super, grand

If we had just one more minute and you were in no pain
We would take you singing and dancing in the pouring rain

If we had just one more minute to sing and dance and play
We would do all these things with you any time night or day

If we had just one more minute, oh we wish you hadn't gone
We need you here, we want you here, but God has called you home

If we had just one more minute to hold you in our arms so tight
But now those minutes are gone and we have to say goodnight

My best wishes, love and hugs to all on TP and my thanks for all the help and support, and lovely messages posted for me. Sandra xxxx

Dearest Sandra, thank you for sharing that poem. It was beautiful and I am glad that you have two wonderful children to share this sad time with. It sounds like you gave your husband a wonderful send off and he is now at peace. I can only imagine how your are feeling, empty, lost, strange but thankfully some peace as well. I hope you and your family find comfort over the coming weeks and that you are filled with memories of the happy times. I wish you all the very best. x

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
A lovely and befitting "goodbye" to your darling man. If I can be of any help to you, with forms and things that need sorting out, please don't hesitate to PM me. xxx

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Sandra what a lovely poem your daughter wrote it is very moving I am glad you are getting support from you family Phil would be so proud of them.
Sending you hugs and wishing you strength Sandi xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
A very poignant poem, your daughter has got it absolutely right. Do hope you are able to keep the sense of peace, it will take time for you to adjust, but we're all still here for you if you need us. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point