FiL being rude and aggressive.

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
Everything seemed to be going well, my inlaws have just spent their first month in the carehome and we have all heaved huge sighs of relief.

FiL as you know, has always had a nasty, uncontrolled temper and coupled with dementia it's an unhappy match. Unfortunately on Saturday evening, we had a call to say he'd been particularly aggressive that day and we might want to come over and have a talk with him.

He'd been watching football in one of the big lounges surrounded by other guests and had been screaming at them to (insert expletives) SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO WATCH THE TELLY. Staff intervened. A little later, he had turned on MiL and was almost spitting into her face as he yelled 'I HATE YOU' over and over. Staff intervened again. That afternoon he threatened the lady that he'd taken against from day one - she just wanted to sit with them. He yelled at her and to 'encourage' her to move, he went after her waving his arms until she turned into the bathroom to get away from him - nurse on duty came running over at this point but he still tried to follow the lady in. She hit him on the wrist leaving a large bruise. Staff called this a 'major invasion of space' and Fil will be monitored closely from now on.

Makes me sad and cross at the same time. Husband had a quick meeting with the manager today and he said, we'll keep monitoring him and intervene as and when. Re-evaluate the situation (and review any logged incidents) in a few weeks time. The GP will consider anti-anxiety meds for him.

FiL remembers what he did and is unrepentant. When we visited yesterday, he waved his hand airily and merely said, 'it's been struck from the record' - whatever that might mean.

If he continues to upset the other residents (and this is the worst he's been so far, there have been a few other outbursts but nothing as bad as this). I just wonder how
on earth we'd find another home that would take him, if he was given notice to leave. Husband has said to me - I'd leave Mum where she is, she's happy and settled.

Sighs......!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The staff seem on the ball so it`s a bit of a relief for you. Imagine if you were dealing with this at home.

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
GrannieG - yes, this is the sort of behaviour that my sister in law had to deal with for 18 months. Often it was directed at her. She came close to a breakdown.

Helly71 - myhusband has said to him, "if you cannot behave and keep your temper in check, we WILL move you away from Mum". But here's where the dementia comes in, he has lost that sense of accountability/guilt, also I don't think he believes we'd move him. I don't think he sees the consequences of his actions at all.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
He may well have to be sectioned for the safety of the other residents. My first reaction was why did the care home bother you, it's their job but as I read on I totally changed my mind. I am told sectioning is somewhere he can get help to manage his behaviour most likely with medications because he's no longer in control.

I would talk to the care home manager about the options.

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
We are having similar issues with my mum who has taken against one of the other old ladies. They almost got into a fight the other day! Both in their 80s ... If it wasn't so sad I would have laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point