FiL and his Driving Licence... Why is it so hard!

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
I've read so many other stories here of battles over driving when our relatives insist they're 'fine' when they really aren't. I'm glad we're not alone!!!!

Maybe we were a bit sneaky, but when Fil was in hospital, his motor insurance policy was due for renewal and we simply let it lapse. Prior to that, he'd been involved in a collision with a stationary tractor and written his car off. He was given a courtesy car (had a minor bump in that car, too) until the settlement cheque was issued by his insurers. Obviously he had to return the courtesy car on receipt of the cheque, so he rushed out and bought another car for cash. Within a few weeks, he had the fall and the fractured hip which hospitalised him for two months. MiL had already been advised by her GP that she wasn't fit to drive though she's still the registered keeper of the car. FiL was advised by the hospital team on his discharge in January not to drive and then he went straight into respite care. And of course in March, to the care home we found locally. Their car is now sitting unused, on our insurance, until we sell it and stick the money in their account.

The hard part is FiL is now convinced that he simply has to re-apply for his Licence and he can drive again. The thing is, his Licence hasn't expired and doesn't until Dec 2015. He has asked and asked for the form to renew it, in the end we gave it to him to keep the peace. He was unable to complete the form. He couldn't even 'sign within the white box' in black ink. Although his eyesight passes the minimum requirement for driving, the optician advised us she couldn't complete the full exam as he didn't have the mental comprehension necessary for all the tests. Physically his arthritis is bad and he has great trouble just getting into a car. I can't even imagine how he'd cope with a tricky parking manoeuvre or simply having the strength/mobility to use the pedals. He admits he doesn't know where he is and has got lost when driving in recent years.

Our plan of action is to complete the form for him, as he has begged us to do, and to fill in all the notifiable medical conditions as he's not informed DVLA of his ill health. And send it off complete with signature in the wrong place and in the wrong colour ink. And trust that DVLA in their infinite wisdom will then be the Bad News Bears, rather than us, telling him they can't renew his Licence. I hope this doesn't sound too cruel. I rang our own insurers, purely academically to see what they thought, and whether any company would even consider insuring him with his history and they said ‘No.’ Which was a relief to hear!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My understanding is that DVLA contact the consultant or doctor named. Does that person know how to respond?

Last edited:

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Is him the one who is having behavier problem on CH? What if he lost temper with a pedrestian?

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I thought the DVLA would be more careful in licence decisions, but in their infinite wisdom told my husband he could retain his licence even when his right arm was so disabled following a stroke he couldn't operate the lights, windscreen wipers etc!! And not to mention any cognitive impairment. I wrote to the GP who then advised a driving assessment. Hubby passed but needs an adapted car so licence has gone back to DVLA with full medical details attached! Awaiting its return and, like you, hoping they do not renew. How come they are so strict about passing a test in the first place and then blasé about health conditions, which could put driver and public at risk ?!!

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
Is him the one who is having behavier problem on CH? What if he lost temper with a pedrestian?
Yes, he is very short-tempered and aggressive. Same man, well remembered!
Going back more than 10 years, I remember being scared by his driving even then. Pulling out onto roundabouts without looking properly and getting blasted by horns - then looking baffled as to why he'd been hooted. Backing into a parking space too fast and hitting a small wall with his bumper. Pulling out to overtake on a motorway - with a car in his blindspot that he nearly clipped.

Trish4 - good point, when we send the form off we'll write to his new GP and pre-warn them. Fortunately he's seen FiL several times already.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I'd be tempted to send a covering letter to DVLA outlining your concerns.
It is so hard isn't it
My dad insisted on driving when it wasn't safe for him to do so at all - his GP wouldnt' say anything to him as "it might damage his relationship with his patient"

Good luck!