fighting the diesease

thintz

Aug 12, 2015
Concord, NC
I am five years since being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (early onset back then) and am doing better than expected according to my doctors. But, as I expect you all know, there is a progression that is slowly taking over. I am very fortunate in that I have found that flying RC planes with the intense concentration that requires along with the work of building ad maintaining them is keeping my mind working at a higher level. My neurologist told me to "fly all you can" because she feels it is doing more good for me than anything else we have been able to come up with.

I guess trying to share all this in my sites is a way for me to share some good news that at he same time keeps me working to preserve my brain a little longer. Figuring out the software for building sites, editing video and such is brain intensive! The more I stay busy the less I think about where I am going.

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
I am five years since being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (early onset back then) and am doing better than expected according to my doctors. But, as I expect you all know, there is a progression that is slowly taking over. I am very fortunate in that I have found that flying RC planes with the intense concentration that requires along with the work of building ad maintaining them is keeping my mind working at a higher level. My neurologist told me to "fly all you can" because she feels it is doing more good for me than anything else we have been able to come up with.

I guess trying to share all this in my sites is a way for me to share some good news that at he same time keeps me working to preserve my brain a little longer. Figuring out the software for building sites, editing video and such is brain intensive! The more I stay busy the less I think about where I am going.

Makes a LOT of sense to me! When tested with pen and paper I pass with flying colors, because, I have been a writer and must have been born with a pen in my hand! So I don't show the signs they are looking for in that area and TOSS me into a lump of "Who cares what is wrong but it isn't Parkinson's". UGH! Anything I can really concentrate on for however long keeps the dementia at bay. Sounds like you have found it. Good for you, keep on flying!

thintz

Aug 12, 2015
Concord, NC
One of the things I am doing in addition to the flying is using my writing skills (magazine writer for 12 years) to do a site where I document things about my journey through this disease. fightingmyalz.com

While speaking to the audience I am also taking a better look within me and I think that helps keep me realistic about what is going on. The site is open to the public which can be dangerous I know. When I came out about having Alzheimer's on my main woodworking site that gets 23 million visits or so per year all but two of the sponsors ran for the hills taking the big majority of my income with them so life is way subdued these days.

Anyway, take a look to see what I have been doing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968