Fighting back whilst Baking

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
When I first woke up this morning at 4-30am I felt in an utter daze and somewhat lost to the world around me as my mind was in a mist! Then when Sumi and I went for our walk it was as though I were dragging my legs and body along with me as the discomfort from the osteoarthritis in my spine and hips was sending shape pains down my left leg and into my hips and I kept losing my balance, Sumi said that with every step I took I was huffing and puffing as if exhausted and my face was winced with the pain. I turned to Sumi and said this is extremely hard work this morning I don’t think that I can stand and do any baking! But once we got back home I changed my mind (which is not unusual for a person who has any type of dementia) as determination got the better of me and I don’t like to be defeated or give in to an unwanted illness!

So with a lot of effort and not forgetting the confusion I set to and prepared all my ingredients and set about the days fighting back…

(Today I made)

100% Whole-wheat Bloomer loafs with white and black sesame seeds and poppy seeds,

English sultana Scone rounds,

And

Toad in the hole, but with sliced sausages and tomatoes,

Must say that despite all the discomfort in my back and leg and the confusion in my brain I was well pleased with the results which helps with motivation and brain stimulation…

Continuing my baking has become my mother of intent in fighting my Alzheimer’s
Barry ;)
Baking day fighting back.jpg

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Barry,

Good to see you popping in here today!:)I hope Sumi and the family are well.

Your determination to keep fighting is always so inspiring and gives us all such valuable insight into the disease.
Well done with your baking! It is early morning here and the sight of those scones is making me hungry. It all looks delicious...wish you lived next door, I would be popping in every day for a bun.

When I was a child, we had an elderly (well he seemed it to me) relative who was a baker and had a shop. I was always taken in there to choose a treat when I visited my grandparents. I can still feel the anticipation when the bell rang as we stepped inside. I could choose whatever I fancied and my favourite was a Chelsea bun.

Starry x

PS. I might try to make your toad in the hole too! never thought of slicing the sausages and adding tomatoes!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wow Barry. These look amazing. I don't have a sweet tooth but love bread and savouries. I could scoff the lot!:D

I hope the pain has eased a bit.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Hello Barry

Well done for fighting back and getting on with baking, I too love the sound of toad in the hole with sliced sausages and tomatoes . That all looks great, I'm hungry now:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Barry, I'm going to make your sliced toad in the hole, it looks so good.
I'll use vegetarian sausages though and it will be something to use then for as they don't taste as good as real sausages when eaten just as they are.
It's one of the few things I miss after over 30 years as a vegetarian!

I'm glad you did your baking and that it is providing you with much needed release from the frustrations caused by this illness and the pain you are enduring.
Thank you for your ongoing inspiration.x