Fight Fight Fight!

Daisysmum

Jul 25, 2013
It has been a real battle to get mum awarded free healthcare (continuing Healthcare). The assessment process appears to be configured in such a way that it is difficult for someone with even advanced dementia but no other health conditions to get a positive outcome.
What i want to share is the message - keep on fighting and don't give up. It is difficult at a time when, as carers, we are so absorbed with our caring responsibilities that we have little or no energy to fight bureaucracy.
Get support from the Alzheimer's Society (I did) knowledge is power and the more you understand the process the better armed you are for the battle. If necessary get your local MP involved if your application is rejected.
With nursing home care fees at £850 per week, or £44,000 a year, financially it is certainly worth the fight, but for us as a family it felt more important that we were fighting for justice and a fair deal for mum.
After a long fight our local CCG has awarded mum continuing healthcare funding and backdated the award - so it really can be worth the fight.

gillygirl

Aug 31, 2013
Good for you

I love your post. Everybody should fight. I lost my dad 3 years ago but as a family we had to put him in a home. My mum too as she was disabled after a stroke. I still have mum and care home fees are still paid. It's worth it. I am doing a sponsered walk on 8th September at Brighton. If you are interested in sponsering me then please reply to my message.

Kind regards Gilly

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Completely agree - we too fought and got it...Im just about to start another fight with the care home head office who are acting the eejit by asking for top ups - but will I bow down? Not a chance. So few people get what they are entitled to that its in everyone's interests to fight if they can.
I take great comfort in the support and help on Talking Point and thank you all - it would be so difficult without everyone' s knowledge and support.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The assessment process appears to be configured in such a way that it is difficult for someone with even advanced dementia but no other health conditions to get a positive outcome.
Difficult even with multiple other serious health problems too. A lot depends on where you live though. Well done in your fight and congratulations with your success.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba