fentanyl patches

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Oh has benn on codydramol for years, about 10 probably. Doesn't even touch the pain he has in shoulders and neck from v. Old injuries nor the pain in his arthritic knee. So Dr has prescribed lowest dose of fentanyl patches. Bit scared of this so has anyone experienced this for arthritis treatment?

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
It's so difficult to comment on effects of medication because one person's reaction can be very different to another's.

My mother had these patches for back pain last year and it seemed to trigger a long-running bout of nausea to the extent that she says now she wish she hadn't used them.

A consultant she has seen recently suggested the Fentanyl triggered a GI motility problem.

On the other hand, they did seem to relieve the back pain at the time they used, so maybe the side effects were worth it after all?

I'm not sure if that's going to be much help to you but it's food for thought.

flowerpetals

Mar 6, 2015
I have used Fentanyl patches for ulnar nerve pain. It did calm things down a bit but I still experienced an awful lot of pain. (I do have rheumatoid arthritis) I didn't experience any side effects, thankfully.

Then one doctor prescribed Amytripyline in a small dose, it is brilliant for nerve pain, a larger dose it's an antidepressant. It killed that pain completely whereas nothing else touched it. I then had an operation which resolved a lot of the problem. I suppose we are all different but for me, the Fentanyl was just ok. I have heard that it works well for other people's pain and I think its worth trying when you are in that amount of pain :)

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you both. I guess I'm a bit afraid that it might just start a whole train of side effects. Dilemma isn't it, continuous pain and not too much confusion or less pain and all sorts of other additional problems. Devils and deep blue sea.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH had them when he had pain from a foot ulcer last year. Never was sure if they did any good, but can't remember any reactions to them. They had a habit of coming off, but so dies anything attached to him, such as cannula, epidural, drains, ECG leads. The catheter stayed in though!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband was prescribed these when he was in the nursing home.
It's difficult to say how effective they were at relieving his pain as by then he couldn't express his feelings. They did make him more sleepy though but I think that could be expected.
I tried a low dose of amitryptaline for head and neck pain but all it did for me was to make me dreadfully tired next day.
All you can do is to try the patch and see how it goes. Good luck.