Fees And The State!!

KIM62

Apr 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello everyone,

I have posted a few threads on the forums over the past year, all to do with my sister-in-law(SIL).

Anyway, an update and a question (sorry to be a nuisance). She is fine and well cared for. Since going into the N.H a year ago she has increased her weight, which is good compered to the way her appearance was, and gone up a clothes size. Her memory still gives her some problems, and she is fragile, but she is still capable of taking herself off to the toilet. Taking her out she enjoys, however she starts clock watching (if only she could really make out the time) when it approachesd mealtimes has she doesn't want to miss them. So, by the by all is calm and well...for the moment.
She is fully funding, however, and to my guess-timation the home fees will increase by 5% each year on top of what she pays, which come April she will be paying over £400 a week. The home is in line with the fees set out by the local social services.
She has savings, which at the rate of increase will last two years minimum. Then there is the sale of her property, which we all know thats a poor mover market at the moment.
Anyway, Im babbling on, apologies, the question is: what is the absolute maximum savings a person is allowed in an account before the state kicks in to fully fund, and I stress fully fund?
My husband seems to think its £20,000. Me personally I think the state will allow you enough to have a good funeral, say around £3,000. I remember years ago(1993), working in a residential home, where the state funded residents had all their pensions (state and private) taken to cover costs and were reimbursed with £5 as pocket money. State not exactly going overboard with allowing them enough to save for a rainy day would you say, so how £20,000 sat in a persons bank account will warrant them receiving full funding is beyond belief to me.

So, please, if you wish to prove me wrong I would welcome it, and Im sure hubby would too.

A 'belated' Happy New Year to you all:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ok this is how it works. If you have more than £22,500 then you get no state help. From £13,500 you are considered to receive tariff income of £1 per £250, under £13,500 fee will be paid in full by the local authority. Any income will also be retain by the LA in this case, less a personal allowance which is currently around £20 a week.

As an example:

Say you have £20000 in savings: (20000-13,500) divided by 250 x 1 = £26 weekly tariff income. the LA would get whatever her pension is + £26 - personal allowance and they would pick up the tab for the nursing home.

I think my figures are current but you get the gist.

personal allowance for 2008 = £21.15

Last edited:

mica123

Apr 30, 2008
england
defer payments

hi.I found out that if your having problems selling your relatives home,then even if they have savings over 13500 yet below 22500.you can then defer payments,the social services will make the payments and it is paid back when the home is sold.it happened with a resident i know.