feeling very let down

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
My wonderful husband attends a local care home each Friday to give me a few hours respite. He has been attending now for about nine months and has been happy to go and seems to enjoy the activities and content to be left with the care assistants. When I arrived to bring him home I asked how he had been during the day and was devastated when told that David had left the premises during the morning:eek: A search of the premises was done and then a search of the surrounding grounds. He was found not far from a canal alongside the care home. I feel so guilty for leaving him and put my trust in the staff there to look after him and keep him safe. Should I take this further?? Needless to say I won't be taking him there anymore and the thought of what could have happened keeps reducing me to tears.

I need a hug please.

Katie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Katie

You certainly do need a hug and one is winging it`s way towards you.

But the home did the right thing in telling you. They might have wanted to know from you if David was likely to wander from home. Perhaps they wanted to find out if it had ever happened before . Or they might have wanted to warn you of a new behaviour.

I would be grateful they were honest with you and told you. If someone is not known to wander, the change in behaviour will be a shock to all concerned.

My mother was a terrible worry. She was always on her way out from day centres, so I do understand. But perhaps when you have recovered from the shock you will see it as a warning rather than negligence.

Love xx

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
Thanks for replying. The staff were warned about the fact that David escapes!! I am surprised that I am able to walk into the home through automatic doors and no one questions me. Unsupervised the automatic doors must have seemed too inviting for David to ignore.

Katie x

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
The staff were warned about the fact that David escapes!!

Then I would complain:(
You told them, you told them he escapes.

Barb X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Katie

The staff were warned about the fact that David escapes!!
My mother was refused places where there was open access, I`m surprised the home accepted David.

The only suitable day care for David would have combination locks on all external doors. I do hope you find somewhere Katie and apologize for getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I feel so guilty for leaving him and put my trust in the staff there to look after him and keep him safe.

Try not to feel guilty as it was not your fault,Sounds like the day centre not equipped for people who have symptoms of wondering.

The staff were warned about the fact that David escapes!

So they must have done a risk assessment on your husband, that should be keep on his files .

I wonder who regulate them ? They must come under
Commission for Social Care Inspection So it should be them that you should make a formal complete to , because if it has happen with husband it must be happening with other people.

I am surprised that I am able to walk into the home through automatic doors and no one questions me.

yes it does sound surprisings

My mother go to AZ & social services day centre , both day centre have an intercom that you have to ring to be let in and you can't get out unless you press some numbers in a Box by the fount door

Who organised this day centre for your husband?

Last edited:

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
Hi and thanks for replying. Our social worker arranged everything and a risk assessment/care plan was done. I have a friend whose husband also attends the centre and I got straight on to her because her husband too has a history of doing a Linford Christie:rolleyes: It has been a bad few days for me. I am so stressed and tried and our social worker had arranged a weeks respite (at an EMI residential home) for next week but unfortunately having got labels for his clothing etc organised for David was phoned on Thursday to say the necessary paperwork wasn't sorted for the residential home to take a 60 year old:eek:

I can't face anymore disappointments before Christmas and have told our social worker not to arrange anything until the New Year now.

I will be straight onto our SW on Monday and ask her to get me some more direct payment hours to compensate for Friday's loss of day care.

Love Katie xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I can't face anymore disappointments before Christmas and have told our social worker not to arrange anything until the New Year no

I don't blame you .

But make sure you tell her to keep looking for the right respite care home, for when you’re ready .

I will be straight onto our SW on Monday and ask her to get me some more direct payment hours to compensate for Friday's loss of day care.

Good idea. Is that all the help you get One day On Friday !

don't you have a local AZ day centre , that your husband can go to ? or is it because of your husband age ?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Katie

You sound thoroughly worn out. And being let down is the last straw. I do hope episodes like this will not happen again.
Love xx

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Katie, just to send you a hug

Attachments

• 5728572209a7241735976l[1].gif
    5728572209a7241735976l[1].gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 392

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I am so sorry Katie I missed this post due to computer problems just when you needed me most!:(

Glad you are feeling brighter after our long chat earlier.

Big hugs.

Linda x

Last edited: